New to long range

davis21b

Hello, I,m new here and sorry this is probably a common question but, was wondering what yall think would be the best for me. I'm trying to get into long range shooting from about 500-1,000 yds +. I have a few questions. I have been trying to research all when I can and I still have awhile before I will be home to get started so i will continue to research for awhile. I have been debating on a Savage 10 fcp-k or i have been thinking about a Tikka T3. I was going to go with 308 but, a friend suggest i look into some different calipers. So, now I'm looking at 308, 300wm, 270, or 270wsm. Any thoughts and opinions would be highly appreicaited. Thank you.

Start with the Savage in .308 Winchester! It'll teach you the basics! Bout anything you stick into it...from a 155 Palma up to the 175 Sierra will work great! Later on you'll get a hankerin for the 'manglehams' so prepare to lighten your wallet! Just remember...doesn't do much good to blow air in nanoseconds by what you're shootin at! Stuff has to be hit!!

+1

308 isn't the sexiest new thing to come along. But, it's rock solid, affordable to shoot, and good to 1,000+ yds. There's a ready supply of match grade ammo and it's easy to handload for.

You can't go wrong with 308.

-- richard

+2 for the 308. I just started shooting a 308 and it a good albeit, sometimes harsh taskmaster. Its teaching me things I didn't worry too much about with my 26-06. Savage and tikka are both solid platforms but like stated above, I'd lean toward the sav.
Quality optics is just as important decision as caliber or gun make. Optics is no place to scrimp.
Good luck.

I just ordered some optics. I got a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50FFP. I got a GREAT deal on it. It is back ordered so want have it for a few months but that dosent really matter right now cause I wont be home for awhile anyway. There warrenty seems hard to beat and I just couldn't pass up the deal I ran across.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.