New to long range. Scope questions

Obie458

I'm new to the world of long range shooting. Currently the longest I've ever shot is 300 yards but a range just opened locally that goes out to 1,000 yds. Ive got a Nikon monarch 5 3-15x50 on my rifle now and for 300 yds and under it's been great. Is 15x enough for shooting at 1,000 yds? If not what are some good options that aren't going to put me in the poor house. Really not sure how often I'll actually shoot that far so I don't want to dump much money into a scope at this time.

Go to the 1000 yard range and use the scope you own . If you're not satisfied with the performance of the optic , decide exactly what the shortcomings are and purchase a new scope accordingly. You don't have to go broke to enjoy long range shooting.

15x power will get the job done just fine for 1000 yards but your going to want more if you plan on shooting at that distance often. There are always Sightron SIII 6-24x50's for sale in the classifieds on this site for $550-750. IMO you will not find a better scope for the value.

I'm new to the world of long range shooting. Currently the longest I've ever shot is 300 yards but a range just opened locally that goes out to 1,000 yds. Ive got a Nikon monarch 5 3-15x50 on my rifle now and for 300 yds and under it's been great. Is 15x enough for shooting at 1,000 yds? If not what are some good options that aren't going to put me in the poor house. Really not sure how often I'll actually shoot that far so I don't want to dump much money into a scope at this time.

I agree with WeiserBucks. It also depends on your eyesight. My son shot a target at 966 yards with only 6X. I shot a bull elk at 931 yards at 14X. Some snipers are contend with 10X.

Check this out >>>

I agree with WeiserBucks. It also depends on your eyesight. My son shot a target at 966 yards with only 6X. I shot a bull elk at 931 yards at 14X. Some snipers are contend with 10X.

Check this out >>>

Wow, I don't think my eyes are that good. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably give it a try with the scope I have already and see what I think.

I shoot 1000 with 16x and I don't have any issues on clay pigeon sized targets. It depends on how thick the reticle is as well as power. I have a very thin reticle and can still see to shoot a milk jug on 8x at 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.