New to long range pistol, seeking shooting tips and technique online

moknots

My first pistol for long range shooting is on it's way from Buds. CVA Scout pistol in 6.5CM, 14" threaded barrel. I've had a hard time finding much on shooting technique. Any leads?

My goal is shooting steel to 500 yards and taking deer and coyotes to 300 yards, with bipod and rear bag, but am interested in other shooting positions as well. TIA!

Are you going to put a self timing muzzle brake on it? If so, I would encourage you to use a rifle scope.
Are you going to be shooting factory ammo only, or are you going to be reloading?

I was watching a guy shooting 6" gong at 300 with what looked like a scoped 1911 on bipods. Fricking crazy. Always see these 2 guy's there and BS'ed with them a couple times. They shoot a lot of different guns A LOT! I know they compete a lot in highpower and 22rimfire silhouettes. I'd say just throw some bipods on and shoot the crap out of it till your at the level you want to be

That was a Pachmayr Dominator, SASS, or a Tanfoglio Thor.
I have the first and the last of those three SP's.
I do not have the ability to use a bi-pod with my Dominator's, but I do with the my Thor.
I have shot them on steel to 500 yards.

The real key to shoot a SP like the one you are getting is the use of a bi-pod and rear field bag.
You need to keep the tension tight or the same all the way through the recoil impulse. This is of great importance.

Several videos for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you Neal and Ernie! Ernie can you describe how you create proper tension with the required consistency? I would rather start with the right idea than start practicing the wrong idea when I follow Neal's suggestion :0)

Like I said earlier, the real key is having that rear bag tight, and keeping that tension through the recoil impulse, to ensure that your vertical I won't have a problem. If you let off the bag or don't have it tight enough, it will shoot high. If you if you grip the bag in the midst of recoil you were going to force the back up and the muzzle down and you'll shoot low and probably to the right or left as well since you're clinching

My first pistol for long range shooting is on it's way from Buds. CVA Scout pistol in 6.5CM, 14" threaded barrel. I've had a hard time finding much on shooting technique. Any leads?

My goal is shooting steel to 500 yards and taking deer and coyotes to 300 yards, with bipod and rear bag, but am interested in other shooting positions as well. TIA!
I just met Ernie in person the other day. The man is a wealth of knowledge. He can definitely point you in the proper direction.

Thanks again Ernie, here's my update, consider me duly christened and a new enthusiast. Looking at all of your tack drivers makes me drool quite a bit... but the CVA Scout for $350 has sure been a great "gateway" gun for specialty pistols. Getting consistent at 1" or under at 100 yards after messing with grip and bag tension. Appreciate your your help! 6.5CM, 143 ELDX

1st Pistol Deer 10.10.21.JPG