New to Long Range Hunting

TheEagleCoS

Hey Everyone! I am new to long range hunting. I currently own an Tikka T3x TAC A1 with a Steiner T5xi 25-56x mil scope. I shoot 6.5 creedmoor. I figured that since most people in my area don't seem to be much help when it comes to hunting, I would come here to learn more. I currently live in Florida but my family lives out west currently. I can take shots pretty comfortably out to about 600 yards. I can stretch out to 700-850 but I need more practice.

I'm thinking about selling my current rifle and optic because they say this build is too heavy for taking out into the woods on longer hikes. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Hey Everyone! I am new to long range hunting. I currently own an Tikka T3x TAC A1 with a Steiner T5xi 25-56x mil scope. I shoot 6.5 creedmoor. I figured that since most people in my area don't seem to be much help when it comes to hunting, I would come here to learn more. I currently live in Florida but my family lives out west currently. I can take shots pretty comfortably out to about 600 yards. I can stretch out to 700-850 but I need more practice.

I'm thinking about selling my current rifle and optic because they say this build is too heavy for taking out into the woods on longer hikes. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Welcome from western Pa. As far as the weight goes it's a matter of personal preference and body type. A 11# rig will probably be too much for a smaller frame individual too carry all day and a bigger boned person wouldn't feel comfortable with a little twig rig of 7.5#. Use the search feature and you'll find lots of threads on the subject.

Your question is a personal preference based on your health condition, strength, and stamina. I like weight in the 9-10 lb range since it affords me the stability I need to counteract my "aging shakes". So, you can get all the opinions in the world, but it comes down to your comfort level in making that ethical shot. By the way, welcome from North Carolina.