New to long range and in need of a little help!!

David Loebner

So I have a brand new Savage model 110 in 338 Lapua and a Steiner M5Xi 5-25x56 mounted with Weaver 6 hole rings (low) on a Nightforce 20 moa rail shooting factory Laupa 250 grain HPBT OTM secnar rounds. I am trying to sight it in at 200 yards and I am 12 inches high. I don't have enough down in my scope to get zeroed at 200. Is it possible to accomplish this. do I need a different rail. this is my first trip into long distance shooting and I need some help please.

Does the Steiner scope have a zero stop?
If it does, you're probably hitting the zero stop instead of the bottom of the adjustment.
Check ur manual, it'll tell you how to adjust the zero stop down to where your zero is.

UPDATE! Well after a lot of trouble shooting and a few hours on the phone with Steiner (greatest customer service EVER) it was part operator error and part equipment malfunction. The lock-tite did not hold on the rail and was just a tiny bit loose and I did not understand the direction on resetting the zero after sight in the scales slip and my model doesn't have the line your supposed to see when you loosen the turret to reset the zero. I thank all of your help and advise. I have a feeling I will be back asking more info. Ive never had a MILRAD scope nor a scope of this caliber before.

UPDATE! Well after a lot of trouble shooting and a few hours on the phone with Steiner (greatest customer service EVER) it was part operator error and part equipment malfunction. The lock-tite did not hold on the rail and was just a tiny bit loose and I did not understand the direction on resetting the zero after sight in the scales slip and my model doesn't have the line your supposed to see when you loosen the turret to reset the zero. I thank all of your help and advise. I have a feeling I will be back asking more info. Ive never had a MILRAD scope nor a scope of this caliber before.

You're not alone, been there than that! Take your time and enjoy the learning process.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.