New to handloading - Powders??

Wildlifefarmer

I decided to start loading and have purchased about all of the equipment (single stage press system) I will need to start. Great day, there are too many powders to choose from.
I will be loading .280 for starters and then some 7mm08, both for hunting, 145gr and 140 gr.
Would appreciate a few recommendations on which powder.
thanks,

For the 7mm-08, Varget will be hard to beat.

For the .280 (I assume you're talking about the .280 Remington, and not the .280 Ackley Improved), there is ALOT of powders out there that will work. For my .30-06 based cartridges, I use IMR 7828 SSC, for good velocities in my .25-06 AI, and .30-06 AI (which are just north and south of your .280 Rem in caliber). You could also use Aliant Reloder 19 or 22. H1000. And I believe some folks are using IMR 4831 SC with good results.

This website should help you a lot, but always remember to work up your loads, and DON'T start out with what you read on the internet. Start low, and work up. What one rifle likes, your's might not. What is an ok load in 1 rifle, might be too hot for yours. You just have to find out what your individual rifle likes.

.280 Remington @ www.reloadersnest.com

Wildlife- i saw some gorgeous cooper firearms when i googled it. some of the mannlichers were breath taking. i would start with a 140 partition and a 140 ballistic silver tip. but, any of the 140's will be awesome for mule deer. i would start with H4350 and a 210M primer. But, there are many powders that are fine/great. for hunting loads i usually load the bullets .030 or .050 off the lands IF they fit in the magazine. I would keep it simple to start .... varget for the 7-08 and h4350 for the .280

Take a look at reloadersnest.com. They have an icon for "The Rifle Selection" where you can look by caliber, powder, bullet. It's a great resource if you want to see what you can do with the supplies you have on hand.

I think you should try the new Enduron powders - IMR 4166 and IMR 4451. Then report the results back here :)

I have had very good results with H4350 in 7-08 with 140 gr. bullets. If you wish to keep it to one powder that would be an option. H414/760 would also be a choice for one powder solution.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm going to start with some RL19 and H4350
and see what results I get with 140 gr Sierra Pro hunters and NP bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts