New to ELR shooting

jimisbell

This was the first forum I could find. But it seems many threads are 5 years old. I want to find ranges, mentors, training in South Texas. My stuff is a brand new Savage 112 Lapua 338 (never fired), 34 power scope, 250 rounds of cheap ammo, and a desire to enter this sport. I know nothing.

Welcome to the forum from OK. You have the perfect ammo to "break in" your barrel. During the first 60-100 rounds you may notice the character and speed of you barrel may change as it is shot. If you are lucky the cheap ammo will shoot well but if not you have the option of premium ammo for your chosen cartridge. If you don't belong to a gun club that is a great place to start. Getting help from experienced shooters is always better than reading about it. My thoughts if your rifle doesn't have one would be to start off adding a muzzle brake. The 338 Lapua can be punishing when shot off of a bench. Don't want to develop a flinch needlessly.

Yes. the Savage 112 has a muzzle break that looks like a Tank muzzle break that I am told will clear the stalls on either side very quickly...LOL But it does do a good job of mitigating the recoil. But I read that it doesnt like boat tail bullets.
The ammo is 300gr Selier Bellot ($2.50 a round). I purchased the reloading dies for my Lee Classic press and intend to reload the SB Brass. I have begun amassing the reloading data I need. I havent found any gun clubs down here that are tuned to ELR but there is a range near here (Max 200yds) that will allow for sighting in the rifle. But I dont want to spend too much ammo at that range. Nearest shop that usually has what reloaders need is 60 miles so I need to get powder,bullet, etc data before I make that drive. Talked to them on the phone and they dont have any H1000. May wait til after the election to get powder and such, prices may come down.....OR.... go up.

Yes. the Savage 112 has a muzzle break that looks like a Tank muzzle break that I am told will clear the stalls on either side very quickly...LOL But it does do a good job of mitigating the recoil. But I read that it doesnt like boat tail bullets.
The ammo is 300gr Selier Bellot ($2.50 a round). I purchased the reloading dies for my Lee Classic press and intend to reload the SB Brass. I have begun amassing the reloading data I need. I havent found any gun clubs down here that are tuned to ELR but there is a range near here (Max 200yds) that will allow for sighting in the rifle. But I dont want to spend too much ammo at that range. Nearest shop that usually has what reloaders need is 60 miles so I need to get powder,bullet, etc data before I make that drive. Talked to them on the phone and they dont have any H1000. May wait til after the election to get powder and such, prices may come down.....OR.... go up.
Hey Unc. Look for some Retumbo powder. If you can't find any DONT worry I got about 15# of it. LoL got to take care of family. We can at least get ya going.

Thanks. I have 250 rounds of Seilier Bellot Factory loads that should get me into next year and by then the election will be over and I can get what I need....if there isnt a civil war going on....LOL And if thats the case I will finish my 1919A4 build and I've got about 2000 rounds for it.

This was the first forum I could find. But it seems many threads are 5 years old. I want to find ranges, mentors, training in South Texas. My stuff is a brand new Savage 112 Lapua 338 (never fired), 34 power scope, 250 rounds of cheap ammo, and a desire to enter this sport. I know nothing.
Is there no public land having a power line or gas line in the state of Texas?
Most of them will have some type of a service road you can drive on till you get far enough away from things.
For sure there are places, but your just not tuned into recognizing them.

I dont know how that works. I thought shooting on a powerline right of way would be illegal?
Yes sir, it's illegal. If on public property. But on private property it's ok. If you was hunting on a ranch and and was shooting down or across a power line it would be ok. I don't think it would be ok if you set up a shooting range though. I would def speak to a game warden on this.

Is there no public land having a power line or gas line in the state of Texas?
Most of them will have some type of a service road you can drive on till you get far enough away from things.
For sure there are places, but your just not tuned into recognizing them.
I work for a Distribution Gas Company. FYI it's very illegal. We have DRS stations in the easements and farm taps. Some of those line have over 1,000 psi on them. A 4" HP ( High Pressure ) gas main can make a hole the size of a football field if damaged. That's with only 400 PSIs on it. Some of our gas mains have over 1,000 PSIs and believe it or not you can drive 2 full size 18 Wheeler semi trucks with 40' long trailers through them side by side. The ground erodes and shifts so much it can sometimes surface our gas main. We do patrol them every 15 months or once every physical year. I can't remember the cost of the fine but criminal charges will be brought on you. I'm not talking misdemeanor either. Please don't do it.

Yes and you could also shoot down a power line if you were stupid enough to hang a target on it.
Make up your mind that (some people) hunt and shoot at those type places.
The area of PA ive been hunting for 70 years is criss crossed with many many miles of natural gas pipe lines.
Also very large power lines running across those hills.
And we use them.

Wow, they must be very liberal in PA. In Texas you would end up in jail. And if you just used the access road to travel out to the country you would still be on someone elses property....and might get shot by them!...LOL

Wow, they must be very liberal in PA. In Texas you would end up in jail. And if you just used the access road to travel out to the country you would still be on someone elses property....and might get shot by them!...LOL
Yes sir they pretty strict here in Texas. LoL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.