New to elk hunting

mcrono

My Father inlaw just purchased some land around Montrose Colorado. The land has a house on it so we would be staying inside and not roughing it. I have only huned whitetails here in Arkansas from tree stands and blinds so this is all new for me. Next fall I would love to tag my first elk. I have read you can purchase elk tags for the 2nd and 3rd season over the counter which one would be better in your opinion? Also all my hunting gear is designed to stay warm while sitting still; what clothing gear would you recomend? Kuiu, Sitka, is it necessary to buy new gear like that, do I need an insulation layer during those seasons for that part of the state, rain gear, soft shell or hard shell? What would you invest in first and foremost.

I have a Sako 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55 that drops deer on the spot and is very accurate. Would 140 gr accubonds or bergers be advised on elk or should I step up to a 300wsm Tikka that's in my safe? The Tikka is brand new and I would need to invest in a scope, mount, muzzle break and most likely a stock to get it where I want it to be.

Just looking for a bit of advise all help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I live and hunt about 50 miles to the north. The difference between the 2nd and 3rd season is not that great although I would choose the 2nd. I also suggest putting in for the 1st elk only season to get a point if not the tag, I drew with no points this year.

I believe your rifle is fine so no need to spend money there, at least for the first hunt. As for clothing dressing in layers seems to work as it is cold early but generally warms to the point a light jacket does the trick during the day - most of the time.

I suggest a good mapping GPS with the Hunting maps chip available on here is a valuable tool. I would not have filled my tag without it this year, very important to know where the private borders are.

Jack

With the 6.5 sweed would y'all use the 140 gr Berger or accubonds, high shoulder or lung/heart shot?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.