New to custom rifles HELP!

J.wittman

Hello all

I am looking to get into my first custom rifle, I have no idea where to start let alone who to start it with. I am looking for Reliability, repeatability and of course accuracy. I want to run minimum lube on the action as to not attract dirt. Hiking with the rifle will happen, so weight is some issue. I will hunt medium game, white tail, and some elk. As far as who to have build the rifle.. I'm not crazy about the big guys but may consider them. Usually means bigger price tag, longer lead time and what not.

I shoot my savage out to distance frequently with great success but am just ready for a upgrade. Currently shooting .308 and want a change of caliber and cartridge . I'm local to Wisconsin and don't know of many rifle builders around me. None actually. Maybe they don't exist, maybe I don't know where to look. Thanks much for the future help. Jon-

Well, some of the big builders have long waits, but a lot of the wait comes from them having to source your parts. I've gotten several rifles built by GA Precision and they ran about 6mo with me supplying all the parts. The rifles shoot excellent and are very well finished. As far as what you want, the sky is the limit and the money in your pocket will ultimately determine what your build turns in to. If you want to decide for yourself on what goes into it, buy your parts and send them to a builder. If not, this site sells some kill LR rigs along with many others. I think you'll need to narrow down a lot of things before starting anything.

Well, some of the big builders have long waits, but a lot of the wait comes from them having to source your parts. I've gotten several rifles built by GA Precision and they ran about 6mo with me supplying all the parts. The rifles shoot excellent and are very well finished. As far as what you want, the sky is the limit and the money in your pocket will ultimately determine what your build turns in to. If you want to decide for yourself on what goes into it, buy your parts and send them to a builder. If not, this site sells some kill LR rigs along with many others. I think you'll need to narrow down a lot of things before starting anything.
As far as narrowing things down I was hoping to get info on what is good stuff to use. What's a popular action for a hunting rifle that requires minimal lube, I have my stock, trigger, optic, bipod all picked out. I need assistance with action, cartridge, and caliber for longer range on elk if the shot presents itself. And who to have put it all together, pillar bed, chamber, muzzle thread , cerakote , and other finish work.

Do I use a titanium action? That requires lube I'm sure, do I use a stainless and have it painted, does anybody offer melonite? I hear good stuff about that.

Honestly if you are mechanically inclined you could build one yourself If you wanted to. With the variety of pre-fit barrels and stocks with bedding blocks you can order the parts and assemble a great rifle in less than an hour.

Building my first custom consisted of a year of waiting for the stock and action but half an hour to headspace the prefit barrel, attach the stock and mount the scope. Now I purposely made my rifle tip the scales at 20# to tame the recoil of repeatedly firing heavy .300 WM loads however if I went with a Proof Research Barrel, Manners Carbon Fiber hunting stock and any scope but a Gen 2 Razor I could have probably kept the weight below 10 pounds.

Your budget and your options really dictate what the final results will be. If you give us an idea of cost and what kind of weights and calibers your looking for im sure myself and others could point you in the right direction.

For builders I would take a look at Longrifles Inc and Patriot Valley Arms, both are quality smiths that take pride in their work and make superbly accurate rifles.

I was in the same boat. I went with Ryan Pierce at piercision rifles and he has been great. I feel his prices are fair and he makes some amazing rifles. He has some options to get the weight down, titanium action, carbon barrels and such and he has been very helpful with my decisions and giving me info on components and calibers.

http://www.piercisionrifles.com/

Last edited:
Ok, on that note...... Bighorn action-magnum bolt head, 300wm or 7mmRM will work well for LR and are good for hunting everything you mentioned. Get a proof research prefit and put it together yourself. I've done a couple prefits for savage actions and they shoot very good. The bighorn works the same but has a rem 700 foot print so triggers and stocks all fit the same. A good trigger, scope and stock and you're up and shooting in no time at all.

+1 on what Trevor said. Give Ryan a call. He's probably not all that far from you, extremely knowledgeable, always willing to help, and makes a **** good rifle. I'll soon have my third from him.

I second the 300wm and 7mm. I am building a 28 nosler but barrel life is pretty short and components are proving difficult to find. I have a 300wm and am probably going to get a 7mm next. I built the 28 because the ballistics are awesome and I figured If I decide I want something else I will just swap the barrel out but that isn't really the way a lot of people think when ordering a expensive rifle. Buying a savage action and doing the work yourself is probably the cheapest option if you capable. If your looking to do a full custom your probably going to be 3500-5000 for the gun.

Wow this is all great information! I actually just got off the phone with Andy from The Firm Rifles inc. I was talking to a friend from Tennessee and he referred him. Andy seemed really excited to talk build options and had a very clear answer for all of them. He mentioned using a carbon wrapped barrel, chambered 6.5 or 7 SAUM on a Impact precision action. He didn't feel I needed a magnum really since I told him I wouldn't be taking shots on animals beyond 8 or 900 yards.

I personally feel it's about shot placement and I don't think I want a magnum long action. I searched the web on The Firm and looks like they do awesome work. Any of you guys use Andy @ The Firm?

I have never heard of The Firm but there are several good builders out there and I am sure they are good. If I were going to go with a 6.5 I would do the 6.5 GAP4s. While I agree those both would do the job at 800-900 yards my personal preference is a magnum caliber for elk at those ranges. I have shot several elk and while some dropped pretty quick others took 2-3 300wm bullets to the boiler room. would they have died with the first shot? Yes for sure but I hate tracking and the idea of a wounded animal and always question if my shot was as good as I thought while tracking drive me mad. My wife did take a decent 5x6 a couple years ago with her 7mm-08 and dropped it in its tracks with the 140gr bullet but that was about 80 yard shot. Like I said this is my option and I know plenty of guys using 6.5's for elk at 400+ yards. I just like to have a little extra knockdown power at longer ranges that make follow up shots difficult.

+1 on what Trevor said. Give Ryan a call. He's probably not all that far from you, extremely knowledgeable, always willing to help, and makes a **** good rifle. I'll soon have my third from him.

The biggest issue with Ryan is so many people love his rifles and now his wait time is getting to be 5-6 months. I honestly believe he is one of the top rifle builders though. I have ordered all me reloading components and scope and I still have 4-5 months to wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.