New to board and .264 Win. Mag. question

Lee in OH

Just getting my feet wet in long range shooting and was sent a link to this board by a friend.

I'm having a 264 Win. Mag. built by Pac-Nor. It will be used with a Savage 12BVSS-S (single shot) action. Going to be 8" twist, 28" long, 3-groove set up for shooting the 140's and up. It will have a muzzle brake and will sport a Leupold 8.5-25x40. The rifle's primary use will be long range PD shooting (trying for 1,000 yard club this summer). I'm also thinking of getting involved in some 1,000 yard competition with it if she shoots well enough.

I'm planning to experiment with Retumbo which falls between H-1000 and H-870 on the burn rate chart. Has anyone here experimented with Retumbo in a .264 WM using 140's???

If so, any load info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Don't have any info using Retumbo w/140 grain bullets, but Sierra's newest manual shows IMR-4350 at 55.5 grains @ 2900 fps as there accuracy load using 140 grain bullets. That load starts at 51.3 grains and goes to 59.7 grains. They also show a load of H1000 starting at 52 grains to 64.2 grains as a max load. Hope this helps.

Lee,

sorry I don't have any info for ya.. but...

glad to see ya made it over from GGVG... if I am not there, I am here!!! sit back and get ready to learn..
those groundhogs at 1K are gonna be scared to death now!!!

Not sure where you going after PD's but .. I have that lease in Casper Wyo. I know we can get ya in the 1K club there...
I helped Chris Jamison get into the 1K club, sure wouldn't mind helpin you too..

Chris that freakin rookie, good thing I was there or he'd still be pullin the trigger, that clown couldn't hit a barn door at 10 yards... I practically had to pull the trigger for him....then he made me take a picture of him... man oh man....

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Wait while I put on my SCUBA gear...Its gettin' really DEEP in here...
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

Now the truth comes out
grin.gif
grin.gif

Did you really have to help Chris out like that Ric????

Boyd and I will be expecting you at Williamsport soon. "Show us your Money"

Later
DC
smile.gif
smile.gif

PS---Welcome to the forum Lee. What part of Ohio are you in?

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Thanks little toes. I have some of both on the self and I'll give them a try when my rifle is finished.

Thanks for the warm welcome, too.

smile.gif

Thanks Darrel, I'm in Warren. It's in the extreme NE corner of the state. Pretty flat here to be shooting something like the .264WM, but I also hunt PA and have some better properties to shoot it there. The closest LR range to me is 1.5 hours away (that stinks).
As for Casper, I don't think we're going that far west this year, but next year I can plan on it. Maybe even convince you into coming over for a day and letting D. mind the ranch!!!! You might have to pull the trigger for me too!!!!
grin.gif

I came up with my own signature phrase too...

See it, freeze up, shut yer eyes, and yank the trigger for all it's worth.

It seems to work for me most of the time.
tongue.gif

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: Lee in OH ]

Like your signature phrase!!Hold that thought shooting the Winmag this summer pding & I might have a chance to keep up with the WSM.Maybe we can talk *WyoWhisper* into giving us lesons in S Dakota?=CJ

Sure thing I can teach anyone to yank a trigger.. works best if you tie a rope to the bumper of my Ford 350 crew cab dually diesel ( Banks Powered ) .. man there isn't a gun I have found yet, that stays in one piece....
grin.gif

Hey I have that 10,000 lease in Casper for PD's, tons of the critters.. here's the link for the information.
www.dnrranch.com/hunting.html

Wish we could be more help with Lee's winmag ?,he is gona need it.Prairie dogs are little critters at 1000+ yards.
*WyoWhisper* no offence but we have to drive by Billions of free dogs to get to your lease.Would be interesting watching you or your Ford trying to yank the trigger on this one He he
tongue.gif
outsidet&b.jpg

I think that's a great idea Mach V, but I'm not sure if the boss will let him out to play.

Tell ya what WW, e-mail me some more info about Casper and I'll plan on there next year, deal?????

I watched Varmint Safari again for abot the thousandth time and I'm ready to go!!!!!!!

[ 01-28-2003: Message edited by: Lee in OH ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.