New to ar's. Interested in a lefty

Discussion in 'AR15/10 Rifles' started by shawnb, May 18, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

Hi all. Im new to ar rifles and i see stag arms has a left handed non restricted in canada. Im very interested in the stag 10L 24" 6.5 creedmoor.

Anyone have any pointers for a future newb ar owner. Maintenance mainly i guess to keep everything happy.

2. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Well-Known Member

Stag LH is really a lefty upper on a RH lower. Allows use of all the normal magazines on the market. At least this is the case for the “15” platform.

For a true LH mirror image, Rock River has those.

I’d likely go the route of a LH upper on a RH lower if I did a LH AR.

The one AR I built was done with all RH components.

3. idcwby

idcwby Well-Known Member

I got a lefty Rock River, like it a lot. The biggest downfall to them is you can only use Rock River uppers because they are built different than a normal right handed AR.

idcwby

4. Buttermilk

Buttermilk Well-Known Member

My understanding is the Rock River LH versions are true mirror image and that would explain having to use RR uppers on their lowers.

Others such as Stag use right hand lowers and left hand uppers, but their uppers aren’t true mirror image LH.

I shoot lefty cause I’m left eye dominant. I’ve considered doing a LH AR next.

5. idcwby

idcwby Well-Known Member

The bolt release is the only thing that Stag didn’t switch on the left hand version.
    It’s nice shooting a lefty auto if your left handed because you don’t get the occasional blast of gas back in your face.

idcwby

6. shawnb

shawnb Well-Known Member

Good info thanks guys.

7. rmc51

rmc51 New Member

Buddy of mine is a lefty and he has a RRA LH 5.56. I'm not a lefty but I have shot his RRA LH and it works. I have tried it both left handed and right handed, Its works great as a lefty, the way it should, kind of weird using it right handed. You will not be disappointed with the RRA LH.