New to 6.5-284 Norma

ncwg2boatguy

Im sure its been covered before , I picked up an MOA Customs 6.5-284 Norma in a trade with 70 rds throught it. He only shot factory ammo so he must have been "Rich!" Need some load developement help for hunting out to 600-700 yds and target out to 1000. Im not a speed freak reaqlly and more into high BC bullets with good ballistics. Just not familiar with this cartridge. From what I have read its a great shooting caliber for long range. I will of course work up and "Never" load max + loads. Thanks for any help you can render.

Jim

Tha accurAte shooter site has a section on the 6.5x284 with loads. Pick your hunting bullet and corresponding loads to work up to. Also, the Hodgon site has loads as does the Nosler online.

Tagging in...

Just head spaced a 6.5 x 284 last night and started looking into load data on it.

Any one loading with Hodgdon Hybrid 100V? It shows up on several calibers I load for when I'm searching on Hodgdon Web site.

6mmbr.com has a good write up on the 6.5x284, Most f class guys are using H4831SC and 140 grain VLDs. I shoot the same out of mine, It works great.

In addition to understanding you headspace, you will also want to know your twist rate and seating depth to the lands of your rifle for your chosen bullet(s). Assuming a twist rate of 8.5:1 or less, excellent performance for accuracy and hunting, can be achieved with bullets in the 140gr range weight The Berger 140Hunting or target) VLD, or more recently, the 140/143 Hornady ELD series are excellent starting points. All these have high BC's and excellent accuracy. Well proven loads use H4831sc(51-53gr) or Retumbo (55-58gr), the latter producing higher velocities in the 2950-3025 range in 24-26" barrels. Accuracy can be optimized by refining charge weight and seating depth. There is a wealth of loading info on this site for reference.
Good luck with your new acquisition. The 6.5x284 is a superb cartridge!!!

H4831, Retumbo & RL26 are the powders I use for my 6.5-284 Norma. I generally load 140gr bullets, but have also loaded the 130 Accubond and BT. This cartridge is sooooo accurate, and packs a whollop on game. You'll love it. I've got a cousin that is on the Army Competitive Shooting Team. He's a handgun officianado, but he gave me the recipe his rifle marksmans set a 1000 yard record with 140gr Bergers. They used 53.1gr of H4831

H4831, Retumbo & RL26 are the powders I use for my 6.5-284 Norma. I generally load 140gr bullets, but have also loaded the 130 Accubond and BT. This cartridge is sooooo accurate, and packs a whollop on game. You'll love it. I've got a cousin that is on the Army Competitive Shooting Team. He's a handgun officianado, but he gave me the recipe his rifle marksmans set a 1000 yard record with 140gr Bergers. They used 53.1gr of H4831

While I also use a slower burning powder(Retumbo) for the higher velocity in my hunting loads, that ACST load of H4831sc is quite accurate! 1.1 inch at 500 yards with my Savage LRH.
17833346-578A-42DD-AE3D-FEFC0C696D19.jpeg

Don't forget RL-23! This powder will produce almost as much velocity as RL-26 and it is as close to unaffected by ambient temperature as powder can get.

While I also use a slower burning powder(Retumbo) for the higher velocity in my hunting loads, that ACST load of H4831sc is quite accurate! 1.1 inch at 500 yards with my Savage LRH.
View attachment 88702

Grey Fox 1.1 at 500 is pretty special. Do you like the 210M better than the BR2 or have you tried the BR2 or any other primers?

I have been using BR2 with H4831SC probably based on accurateshooter or some other site. May need to revisit.

Been watching your exploits with the 6.5x284 for a while now you look like your having some fun.

Good luck and shoot straight all

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.