New Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor or Re Barrel/Repair 7mm STW

General RE LEE

For 2022 I have a couple options:

1) Buy a new Tikka CTR 24" 6.5 Creedmoor as a steady platform for long range hunting/range. I already own a T3x 6.5 Creedmoor. I want a little more heft for bench work and shooting long range off the window of my shooting box. I have all of the reloading components.

2) Fix primary extraction issues and re-barrel Rem 700 7mm STW. I already have all of the reloading components. I have some brass but eventually it will run out and new 7mm STW brass might eventually disappear all together.

Both options are going to run around $1500. What would you choose? The 7mm STW is getting more and more scarce and is more expensice to "operate" vs the 6.5 Creedmoor. For hunting whitetail at sane distances the 6.5 Creedmoor is effective. The 7mm STW is a ballistic dream and is already a steady platform in the Sendero.

New rifle or repair/re-barrel old one?

I am going to reply to my own thread lol.

I decided to have Southern Precision Rifles/Bug Holes re-barrel the 7mm STW and send the bolt handle to Dan with Accu-Tig in Fairbanks Alaska to get the bolt re-timed.

Hopefully I will have a tight shooter that can extract cases properly! I would like to get 3000-3050 FPS with the 175 grain ELD-X.

I had the best luck with Retumbo with the 180 ELDM at just over 3000fps. Es was 4 in my stw. Rl26 was 3060 fps with es of 12. Both grouped well under .5 moa at 100. H1000 was just over 3100 fps with the best group a .7 moa, most were 1 moa and an es of 28.

I had the best luck with Retumbo with the 180 ELDM at just over 3000fps. Es was 4 in my stw. Rl26 was 3060 fps with es of 12. Both grouped well under .5 moa at 100. H1000 was just over 3100 fps with the best group a .7 moa, most were 1 moa and an es of 28.

I hope I find some Retumbo!

I know you have already decided on a re-barrel, but why?
I was involved in your original thread, all I could see was a need for the bolt timing to be addressed, is the barrel toast?

Cheers.

I am going to reply to my own thread lol.

I decided to have Southern Precision Rifles/Bug Holes re-barrel the 7mm STW and send the bolt handle to Dan with Accu-Tig in Fairbanks Alaska to get the bolt re-timed.

Hopefully I will have a tight shooter that can extract cases properly! I would like to get 3000-3050 FPS with the 175 grain ELD-X.
Good choice Bud 😉, you will be able to break 3200 with the 175 Eld-x. That's what I'm shooting in my Sendero with RL 26.

Excuse my ignorance, sd not es on the velocities. Those are also the best/most accurate loads out of that custom rifle. Those are middle towards middle upper without any pressure.