New Texas Suppressor Bill Signed by Gov. Abbott

martinakl

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed two bills this week that will allow Lone Star State residents to carry handguns without a permit and loosen regulations surrounding suppressors.

The Republican signed permitless carry legislation on Wednesday after it cleared the state Senate in early May by an 18-13 vote and the state House with an 84-56 vote. The law, which implements what is commonly referred to as "constitutional carry," allows Texans over 21 to carry their firearms if they're not precluded from owning weapons due to prior criminal history.

The second bill, which Abbott signed on Tuesday, according to the state Legislature's webpage, exempts Texas-made suppressors, also known as silencers, from the National Firearms Act, a body of laws that in part require gun owners to register NFA items, including suppressors and short-barreled rifles, with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives before paying a $200 tax.

Bill:

It happened in Kansas.

Being from Texas I have been following this a little. From what I have heard, which that and $2 get you a small coffee at some places, Texas lawmakers looked at the other states and made their legislation to avoid what had been knocked down. The real test is when it goes to courts and the legal gnu's get done with it. Of course it could be moot before then unless it gets settled in less than 10 years. As you can tell, I am a little sarcastic, a little old, and just plain tourqed about all the bovine fecal matter that's been sprayed on this. Just say'in and of course, thanks for play'in!!

Tried to edit, had to work, dang!

Ok, the way the law is written says an "analyst/expert" (Yeah I know!) it will allow and I think requires/requests the Texas Attorney General to test it in the courts ahead of anyone getting charged by the feds. So let's see. I read that they are trying to base it off the same reasoning some states get away wih legalizing weed when its going against federal law. So one "analyst" says. Your Mileage May Vary!!

Last edited:
Missouri has passed a law that will penalize and fine any law enforcement for enforcing any of the federal laws that go against the 2nd amendment.
So you really think the federal government will not prosecute and NFA violation just because the State of Missouri tells them not to? I 'd like to see that play out, I think the citizen will end up with the short end of the stick. I cannot see the state shielding them from breaking federal law. But, like I said, I do not want to be the test case.

So you really think the federal government will not prosecute and NFA violation just because the State of Missouri tells them not to? I 'd like to see that play out, I think the citizen will end up with the short end of the stick. I cannot see the state shielding them from breaking federal law. But, like I said, I do not want to be the test case.
I don't either. I know the federal government could still prosecute you but law enforcement in Missouri (state, county, local) cannot enforce the laws.

The only thing that could give it wings in the courts is the very similar marijuana and immigration laws not being enforced by the feds. From what I read this morning, it looks like the state attorney general will, upon application to manufacture a suppressor in the state of Texas, will seek a declaratory judgment from a federal district court within the state. Many states have flaunted the immigration and drug laws, it should be interesting to see the outcome of the inevitable legal arguments.

The only thing that could give it wings in the courts is the very similar marijuana and immigration laws not being enforced by the feds. From what I read this morning, it looks like the state attorney general will, upon application to manufacture a suppressor in the state of Texas, will seek a declaratory judgment from a federal district court within the state. Many states have flaunted the immigration and drug laws, it should be interesting to see the outcome of the inevitable legal arguments.
I agree, I want to see how this plays out. As Txhillbily stated, the $200 stamp is cheaper for now. The ATF doesn't play around like other agencies might.

We've had it in TN for years. Our law is very clear..

States don't answer to the federal government. I realize that they stopped teaching people about the constitution in school, but it is very clear on this matter. States grant authority to the federal government, not the other way around. This has been hashed out to the point that they created the 10th ammendment to make this painfully clear.

Don't fear the ATF in your state if you are following state law. When they start arresting people in California and Illinois for buying weed in stores, you can be concerned. Be bold my friends. We are unafraid here in Tennessee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-121416_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-121416_Chrome.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 139