New Swarovski El Range, a disappointment?

Troutslayer2

I have always resisted buying the el range because the glass is not as good as the other lines. I have been holding out for a RF bino from them that features their most premium glass, and I was hoping that there was going to be a NL pure rangefinding model in the mix, and maybe there will be some day. I am kind of disappointed to see that a slight "upgrade" to the El Range is what we're getting. Oh well I guess it saves me a pile of cash for another year.

It's all marketing, if you just come out sell best thing you got you done blew your wad if you keep coming out with little improvements people will always upgrade just like the nl binos, give it couple years and they'll have range in them too probably with ballistic calculations

I have always resisted buying the el range because the glass is not as good as the other lines. I have been holding out for a RF bino from them that features their most premium glass, and I was hoping that there was going to be a NL pure rangefinding model in the mix, and maybe there will be some day. I am kind of disappointed to see that a slight "upgrade" to the El Range is what we're getting. Oh well I guess it saves me a pile of cash for another year.
You don't like the EL Ranges glass?
what don't you like about it?

With that said, what did you find that you like better?

Sooooo much bad info posted on this thread already. Crazy how people spout without knowing any facts.

I own the.....
ZEISS RF (new model)
Leica 3200
And "had" the older EL Range.
BUT I was lucky enough to get to spend a weekend with the new EL Range TA. Always good to "know somebody"

This could be a "sh^+^%show" so I should just keep my mouth shut....but....

As of now, the ZEISS RF's are without question the best RF's solely based off of their function, features, etc. Everything from being able to change left to right hand, to holding the most profiles, and giving you the furthest ballistic readout. The ARE the best.
Leica up to this point had the best glass. But it lacked a lot of the features ZEISS incorporated including how far it would give a ballistic readout. That's the biggest downfall to them. Beautiful glass!
As far as Swarovski's older model, I don't think I need to dive into that. It just lacked everything.
The new Swaro EL TA are exceptional. Their programming, functions and profile capabilities lacks a little. "Why only 3 profile!" But they work! Similar to the ZEISS.
Finally a right hand button. Sorry lefties.
The biggest improvement is the glass. If someone says EL's with Swarovision is poor quality, it's better to just save your breath. There's no arguing with them.
When it comes to putting the very best glass (Field flattening lenses ) such as the top Swaro glass, ZEISS SF, and Leica Noctivids, it's VERY difficult if not impossible to do in a rangefinder due to the actual rangefinder laser. They don't jive. That's always been the biggest challenge. Well Swarovski pretty much did it. The glass is by far the best of the 3. No comparison really. Absolutely tack sharp edge to edge, contrast is superb and no CA that I could see. I had a real hard time seeing any difference between them and the NL Pures. The NL's have such a large Field of view that you get the perception of more light. Kinda like the ZEISS SF's.
That's all I'll say. Just my actual hands on opinion.
Cheers.

Last edited:
If you are saying that the new ones are have better glass then I am mistaken. I thought they were just a technology upgrade. I will say that I'd be buying these to ELIMINATE a piece of tech (the separate rangefinder), and the idea of using an app linked to my binoculars while in the woods to help me to navigate to the spot I was glassing kind of makes me want to puke, sounds dumb, and I would never use it.

If you are saying that the new ones are have better glass then I am mistaken. I thought they were just a technology upgrade. I will say that I'd be buying these to ELIMINATE a piece of tech (the separate rangefinder), and the idea of using an app linked to my binoculars while in the woods to help me to navigate to the spot I was glassing kind of makes me want to puke, sounds dumb, and I would never use it.
no kidding... they should have just left that out! makes more sense to add in features that are useful instead of "here we've put another useless tool in a $4000 dollar pair of binoculars because well lets face it you suck as a hunter and cant figure out how to get from point A to point B without looking at your **** cell phone" makes me wanna puke also!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts