new swaro Z5 2.4-12x50 for lightweight build

packgoatguy

In considering the many compromises associated with a "lightweight" or "ultralight" hunting rifle build... I've been debating what the ultimate lightweight scope might offer: Seems like the scopes with the best glass/decent power/adjustable turrets all weigh well over 20, if not 30 plus ounces. Trying to keep a scope at or around a pound is a chore.

The Swarovski Z5 line seems to be a good bet for an ultralight build, 18 or 25 power scope in the 16-17ounce range... but is limited with their ballistic turrets to just one revolution/about 14MOA of elevation on a 200 yard zero... which tops out at 600-700 yards for most calibers. Fine for most hunting opportunities, but a limitation if you like to practice out to 1000 or more.

Ive considered the Leupold Vx3i options, as that keeps the scope weight under a pound... but uncertain whether the glass quality would be on par with the Z5.

Looks like Swaro just came out with a new Z5 that has more MOA of adjustment, up to 90 (which gives it about 21MOA up from a 200 yard zero if I did my math right) which would allow adjustment out to 1000 yards. Only a 12 power scope, but that is probably sufficient for most hunting needs.

Anyone seen this scope yet? Any feedback? Compared the brightness/glass/eye relief/elevation adjustment/ etc with other lightweight (but long-range suitable) scopes?

Personally I like the MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 for light weight, reticle and illumination choices and smaller size. Pricey but very high quality in glass, materials and construction. The 30 mm tube is stronger than the Swaro 1" tube. And the 30 mm tube also gives you better light transmission as well as more vertical reticle movement.

An Aussie company sells it for $2,000., a very good price.

Eric B.

Personally I like the MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 for light weight, reticle and illumination choices and smaller size. Pricey but very high quality in glass, materials and construction. The 30 mm tube is stronger than the Swaro 1" tube. And the 30 mm tube also gives you better light transmission as well as more vertical reticle movement.

An Aussie company sells it for $2,000., a very good price.

Eric B.
No doubt that is a great scope... but it weighs in at over 22 ounces. Im looking for the best option under 17 ounces.

Search how to remove the zero-stop from Swarovski Z5 on YouTube. I did this to my Z5 3.5-18 and put an moa ring on it from outdoorsmans. No more 1 revolution limit.
any issues you have found with this approach? How many MOA of elevation do you get without the zero stop? how far have you taken it out to?

My 6.5 CM is zeroed at 100 yds. I can dial 30.25 moa which is just over 2 revolutions and that gives me about 1075 yards max dial up with 140 gr Berger VLDs at 2814 MV. Way more than I need for this 6.5. I have it on a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline which makes the total package weight very nice to pack.

I've had it hitting rocks up to 1000 yards. It doesn't appear to have any issues. There's no zero stop so I have to remember to set it back after.

My 6.5 CM is zeroed at 100 yds. I can dial 30.25 moa which is just over 2 revolutions and that gives me about 1075 yards max dial up with 140 gr Berger VLDs at 2814 MV. Way more than I need for this 6.5. I have it on a Christiansen Arms Ridgeline which makes the total package weight very nice to pack.

I've had it hitting rocks up to 1000 yards. It doesn't appear to have any issues. There's no zero stop so I have to remember to set it back after.
is the second revolution higher than the 1st... such that you could put a mark to remind you that you are on the second revolution not the first? Does it bottom out when you go back down, or would it twist below/past your 100 yard zero?

It twists more than 2 revolutions below the 100 yard zero. A mark would help. I'm also using 0 moa Talley mounts. 20 moa mounts would help which would give more dial up as well. I like one less mechanical joint and Talleys have worked well.

It twists more than 2 revolutions below the 100 yard zero. A mark would help. I'm also using 0 moa Talley mounts. 20 moa mounts would help which would give more dial up as well. I like one less mechanical joint and Talleys have worked well.
does it only work if you get the BT ballistic turret model, or can it replace the regular turrets as well? I only found one video about this on youtube... seems like an awesome work around... why isn't it more popular?

Ya. It only works with the BT model. I'm not sure why it's not mentioned more. I wasn't going to buy it until I saw that video. The glass is superb and the weight is so nice.
Did you have Outdoorsmans build you 2 ballistic rings so you could dial up to 1000 with your ballistic markings on it? I know one ring won't get you that far. I have the Z5 5-25 on my 300 wsm and purchased my scope from them, so I got a free turret ring. Thanks for the info, I didn't know you could remove the zero stop.

I bought my z5 from outdoorsmans and ordered it with an moa ring. It's numbered from 0-13 with 0.25 marks in between. It's not labeled from 13-14.5 and 14.5 moa is one revolution. I do a little math in my head after that. I thought about getting the 5-25 but haven't yet.

Last edited:
The bought my z5 from outdoorsmans and ordered it with an moa ring. It's numbered from 0-13 with 0.25 marks in between. It's not labeled from 13-14.5 and 14.5 moa is one revolution. I do a little math in my head after that. I thought about getting the 5-25 but haven't yet.
Ok, got it. I got my ring in yardages not moa. I bet they could easily make another one for the second revolution.
Not sure that I would ever take game beyond 750 yards (my ring max) but knowing that I can disable the zero stop has me considering buying another Z5 for either my 6.5-284 Norma or 7 STW. The glass is so good and it's such a light scope, that it really has me thinking about pulling my NF off and replacing it with the Swaro.
Thanks again for the info

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.