New STW owner..need brass??

brass can be hard to come by for the STW. last time I saw it in a stir I bought all they had, 200 rounds of Remington brass. I was told that the brass was only made once a year and when it's gone, it's gone till next year. I occasionally see it on the various web sights but not too often though

Remington hasn't made any in about 3 years. I am not sure if they are planning any soon.

You need to keep an eye open for Nosler brass or Quality Cartridge, as they are the only ones that currently have some for sale at times. For the price of the Nosler, you can by their loaded rounds and shoot them, then reload from there.

The other option is to get 8mm Rem Mag and neck it down to size. This is the old school way that has been done for years. Their is a writeup on how to do this in this section, somewhere.

At present I'd look at hornady 300 h&h or 375 h&h brass and necking it to stw, then blowing it out.
My brother just picked up a 7stw a couple months ago and that's what we did for him. You will need a mid step for the 375's or you will loose brass; I usually use a 338 win die with the shoulder set long but an 8rem or 300win die with the shoulder in the right spot would work too.

I've got enough brass to feed my rifle but I'm not giving up brass to feed his; I will help him form brass though.

Loved the STW I owned, but this is why I sold it. That was 2 years ago and it hasn't gotten any better. Would have hung on, but can't imagine the brass lasting all that long either, especially if you have to "fireform" from something else. I would recommend the Nosler brass as not only is it headstamped, but it's already annealed, which should help with getting more loadings, which should help offset the ridiculous cost.

I am also having trouble finding brass for my stw. I have some 8mm Rem Mag brass that a friend of mine gave me. What process do I have to go through to be able to shoot it out of my stw? I was also wondering if using the 8mm brass would effect velocity, pressure spikes, etc? If anyone has any info for me it would be much appreciated.

unless you have a tight neck chamber you will be fine... If you compare a loaded round's neck diameter (with your new/ necked down brass) to a fired case's neck diameter (from your rifle), the only way you are in deep doo doo is if your the loaded round's neck diameter is equal to or larger than the fired cases diameter. A bit of room to release the bullet and you are golden.

I am also having trouble finding brass for my stw. I have some 8mm Rem Mag brass that a friend of mine gave me. What process do I have to go through to be able to shoot it out of my stw? I was also wondering if using the 8mm brass would effect velocity, pressure spikes, etc? If anyone has any info for me it would be much appreciated.

The 7mm STW was developed from the 8mm Rem Mag, so like the others have said, unless your chamber was cut with a neck-turn spec reamer, you should be just fine.

I have 192 rounds of factory loaded ammo (mostly Remington and Federal with a few Winchester...all 7mmSTW) and 3 once fired cases. I am wanting to sell it all and ship it to a good home. I have $400 in my head as a fair deal (I pay shipping) but I can be flexible. I can text or email photos if you're interested.

-Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts