New Stock

speedmaster97

I just received a boyds' featherweight thumbhole stock for my Remington 700 BDL. My question is do you tighten both tang and recoil screws down together or alternate and how much torque.

I just received a boyds' featherweight thumbhole stock for my Remington 700 BDL. My question is do you tighten both tang and recoil screws down together or alternate and how much torque.

Do a search for "Torque recommendations" and it has all of the torque values for different types of
stocks and uses.

Wood stocks do there best with pillars and bedding. A plain wooden stock should be torqued between 30 and 45 inch/pounds max.

Do each action screw separately starting with the front hand tight and the barrel pushed back against the recoil surface in the stock. (You can stand the rifle up on the but plate/recoil pad to start with)then follow up with the tang screw. Torque in 10 pound increments until you reach the recommended torque.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.