New Stock for Weatherby Mark V

jaw719

I've got a left hand Japanese Mark V deluxe in 300 wby that I am going to take on an elk hunt. It has the wood stock that is a little heavy for my liking so I wanted to get a new stock instead of spending the money on a new gun. However, I am new to this so I need a little guidance. It is as easy as ordering a McMillan hunting stock and dropping the action in or will I need to send it off to get it custom fitted? Is there another stock company I should be looking at? Is a early 90s Mark V action the same as current actions or will I run into fit issues? Thanks in advance for the help.

They have a couple but not sure of the barrel contour. The barrel length is 24"

Do you want to free float your barrel?
Often the 24 inch Japanese barrels were about a 1-1.5 contour.

Odds are that an aftermarket stock will not be any lighter than the wood one you have now, unless you spend the money on (and wait for) a McMillan with their Edge fill. If so, with a 300 Weatherby I suspect you may have quite the recoil.

You might want to weigh your current stock by itself to see what your baseline is before swapping.

In my experience, there is no stock that you can just drop a barreled action in and it fits perfectly. You will need to tweak the stock (a lot or alittle) to get your barreled action to fit correctly.

Do you want to free float your barrel?
Often the 24 inch Japanese barrels were about a 1-1.5 contour.

Odds are that an aftermarket stock will not be any lighter than the wood one you have now, unless you spend the money on (and wait for) a McMillan with their Edge fill. If so, with a 300 Weatherby I suspect you may have quite the recoil.

You might want to weigh your current stock by itself to see what your baseline is before swapping.
Current weight of the rifle is 8.5 pounds without a scope. Part of the reason for the swap is weight and the other reason is the wood has a high gloss finish and I want something non-reflective and more durable.

Recoil Im not too worried about, I'm 6ft and 230 so I have a lot of body to block the kick. Also, will install a limbsaver to get additional help.

Last edited:
In my experience, there is no stock that you can just drop a barreled action in and it fits perfectly. You will need to tweak the stock (a lot or alittle) to get your barreled action to fit correctly.
That's what I figured. I was going to reach out to McMillan and see if they can fit the action if I send everything to them. If not I guess I'd have to find a gunsmith down here.

That's what I figured. I was going to reach out to McMillan and see if they can fit the action if I send everything to them. If not I guess I'd have to find a gunsmith down here.
If you've bedded rifles yourself its not difficult.
If you haven't, then that's really what you are looking for, a stock fitting and bedding.

If you just want lower gloss, these actually work very well, and leave no residue upon removal:

I have them on a couple of rifles.

Another option if you wanted to take the gloss of is a liquid abrasive. I bought a jar of stuff from my local wood working store and it buffs the shine off without scratching it.

1+ on an aftermarket stock being equal or heavier than a wood one.

Check out AG Composites carbon fiber stocks, They have Weatherby stocks in stock, but they may need to build a perfect fit LH'er for you. I also have McMilllan and Manners stocks, and I prefer AG Composites. 1/4 the turn around time of a custom Manners and IMO better quality

McMillan only offers the Game Warden in left hand for the Mark V and it has an adjustable cheek piece which I don't want for a hunting rifle.

They have a Mark V stock on their website but it takes 12 months to complete.

Bell and Carlson stocks won't fit with the South Gate, CA action because it sits too far forward to get properly bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts