New squirrel rifle

It is a single shot Winchester 1885 that was produced a few years ago (made for Winchester in Japan by Miroku). I had been watching them on Gunbroker but could never justify the price they were going for. This past fall, I got this one at a local auction for what I thought was a pretty good deal.

Now, if I could find a deal on one in 45-70!
I would suggest watching a local auction close to me in Gettysburg Pa. Reddings Auction deals in a lot of firearms. Of course they will need to be transferred to a FFL & Shipping & other taxes apply. But you can bid online. And if something peeked your interest I could stop by & check condition & get better pictures for you. For it's not far from my work. There are a lot of old timers with collections around me. And some enjoy the classics a lot.

It is a single shot Winchester 1885 that was produced a few years ago (made for Winchester in Japan by Miroku). I had been watching them on Gunbroker but could never justify the price they were going for. This past fall, I got this one at a local auction for what I thought was a pretty good deal.

Now, if I could find a deal on one in 45-70!
.45-70 would be nice, but a .38-55 Win would feel just about right for, just saying. 🤔 ;) Cheers

Harmonics definitely apply in 22lr. Why else would people use barrel tuners? I see a massive shift in poi when shooting stingers, about 2" low and to the side. That's harmonics doing their thing. Any weight on the barrel will change the harmonics.

My Dad always told me to find a spot somewhere on something new, kinda outta sight and hit it with a hammer. So later when you pick up dents & scratches you aren't so troubled because it already had a ding. LOL 😄

I really like CZ guns. You got a stunner!
I don't know about a hammer, but my dad said something similar. "The first scratch or ding should be intentional. Get over it and concentrate on the task at hand. Its a tool. Use it like one." Almost makes me think about keeping that stock aside. Nahhh... Very nice. That's a beautiful piece of wood!

I don't know about a hammer, but my dad said something similar. "The first scratch or ding should be intentional. Get over it and concentrate on the task at hand. Its a tool. Use it like one." Almost makes me think about keeping that stock aside. Nahhh... Very nice. That's a beautiful piece of wood!

Funny that you say that! My wife believes that the first thing you do with a new pickup truck is take it through the Sage Brush…..get it scratched and never have to worry about that first scratch! 😉 memtb

Harmonics definitely apply in 22lr. Why else would people use barrel tuners? I see a massive shift in poi when shooting stingers, about 2" low and to the side. That's harmonics doing their thing. Any weight on the barrel will change the harmonics.
That's interesting and I suppose it's right. I just always thought it was powder and bullet differences. But the maybe it's the powder and bullet making the harmonic changes... learn something new every day

Mine shoots under an inch at 100 yards without one, but they can really make a difference on any rimfire.
I spoke to a guy once who said he would take his barrel to the lathe and remove 0.020" and reshoot until his gun shot to his load instead of trying different loads... maybe start cutting your barrel down?

Since you'll were posting all this nice wood on your squirrel guns, I thought I'd post mine. I had thought about refinishing this one but something tells me the grain is maybe about as good as its gonna get! 😆

Attachments

• 20230108_184144.jpg
    20230108_184144.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 101

Recent Posts