New spotting scope, straight or angled eyepiece?

MSLRHunter

I'm in the market for a new spotting scope and just wanted some input on preferences for the straight or angled eyepiece. It will be used for western hunting, watching whitetails down south in ag fields, and spotting for long range target shooting. Thanks!

Both have their advantages, and disadvantages.
I had a straight 80mm, and went to an angled Vortex Viper. The Vortex can be rotated in its mount, so it's the best of both worlds, in my opinion. I also went with a smaller Objective, 65mm now, so it's more portable, and lighter too.
Vortex Viper 15-45x65, can be had for a little over $500. Decent Glass, reasonable, and a Great warranty.

The main thing I've experienced is that the straight seems to be easier to locate a specific animal,target or point of interest. Also is easier to snug down securely in outside pocket on your pack.

I have a straight Leopold Ventana I got for christmas. I kind of obsessed about the difference for a while doing research on them but now I don't think it matters too much. If you are looking up at steep angles I could see angled being better. I just did a hunt where I did exactly that but didn't have trouble. Looking at the moon or planets and stuff is kind of a neck pain with the straight, but otherwise I have had no trouble.

I like both. Straight for mostly horizontal glassing and angled are much better for looking in hilly/mountainous terrain.

I have a straight and yes easy to find game. Like others I have heard that ion steeper hunts the angled is nicer because you don't need a taller tripod.
When looking for your new spotter don't go cheap if you do you will always be buying a new clearer one. In the begining I bought a cheap bushnell kit I thought it was great then not so great and had to replace it. Wisely I looked around at a lot of spotters and one day found a Leica. The price was steep but I bought it that was over 20 years ago. That scope is still crystal clear and bright. A friend of mine was spotting deer with this fall after our binos could barely see them and he could see antlers very well. Good optics save leg work and the worst kind of pain pocket book pain in the long run. Buy real good once and never have to search and buy again.

I found out the hard way a couple times in one day this last hunting season that angled spotters aren't the best for finding game with binocs and wanting a closer look on the quick especially downhill by the time I found the deer bed again it was an empty deer bed and then the fog rolled in

Both have their pros and cons. The angled is shorter, easier on the neck, lighter. The straight can be quicker to switch from tripod mounted binoculars to a spotting scope.

Last edited:
The straight is easier to go back and forth from my rangefinder that is mounted side by side to the spotting scope, but both have pros and cons.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.