New sightron SIII 8-32x56 rings don't clear barrel

D.Camilleri

I just got my new scope today and it looks awesome. Problem is I just purchased a new set of dual dovetail Leupold Hi 30 mm rings and they aren't high enough, the bell of the scope hits the barrel. So the question is do I buy super high rings or shim the bases. .020 would probably be enough to clear, but I am not sure of the load on the screws with a shim with a hard kicking gun like my 338 rum. Any suggestions? I want to go out and sight in soon so I can use this combo on a cow elk and whitetail this month.

That's what I would have done also. Shimming that much with a hard kicking rifle doesn't enthuse me.

Well, I can't seem to buy any good luck. Today I got my new Burris Signature rings for my new scope. I open the box and the packaging says xtra high, so I go put them on the gun and CRAP, scope hits the barrel. So I pull out the new Leupold hi rings that I got last week and compare them. They are the same. So I measure both, and both are .900. Burris put the wrong rings in the wrong box. Hurry up and wait for monday so I can call them.

Thumbs up to Burris customer service! I called them and told them that high rings were in xtra high packaging and after confirming that the rings were indeed only highs, they shipped me the correct rings with my assurrance that I would return the others. The new rings showed up yesterday and I should be able to sight in the new scope tomorrow with the hope of finding a cow elk to try it out on on Sat.

With new rings mounted, on went the scope, leveled her up and headed for the range. I LIKE THIS SCOPE! It is very clear and gathers light very well. The scope tracks perfectly and made dialing it in very easy. Now to draw some blood!

I like Burris rings, I had to use the extra high on my set up. I put a Leupold Vari-X III, 4.5-14X50 on my 7 Mag and to get the scope back far enough to fit me for eye relief on max power, (14X) I used the extra high to clear the single base mount I used. Couldn't get them in silver, but black will work. I was worried about being too high but when I shoulder this Rifle with the aftermarket stock it fits me real good.
Rifle_015_Small_.jpg

With new rings mounted, on went the scope, leveled her up and headed for the range. I LIKE THIS SCOPE! It is very clear and gathers light very well. The scope tracks perfectly and made dialing it in very easy. Now to draw some blood!

It's a fine scope for sure. Now we'll be waiting for the field test report on that elk. :)

The weather isn't cooperating very well for the elk, but with three deer tags in hand I will be heading to Sundance, Wy on Fri to see about some good tests for the new scope, hopefully at some extended ranges.

I assume it is the target dot model? Or is it duplex? I am hoping 8-32x56 S3s come out soon with a new rectical. What do you think of the target dot if that is what you got?

Sightron informed me via email that the 8-32x50 SIII will be getting two new reticles. An 1/8" target dot and a mil dot reticle here shortly. No plans for the 6-24x50.

I got a chance to put the scope through the paces hunting some whitetails this past weekend. I am very happy with the scope. I didn't get the chance to shoot over 300 yards, but 3 shots and 3 dead deer and great scope performance. I used the scope as a spotting scope to judge a lot of bucks and I was very happy. Light gathering was also very good and almost identical if not a little better than my Leupold gold ring 10x42 binos.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.