New Sig Cross Chassis Based 6.5lb Rifle

Wedgy

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig-cross-rifle.html
SIG Sauer has released the new Cross Rifle, a "crossover" rifle for hunting, competition, and long-range shooting. The Cross bolt-action rifle, built for precision, will be offered in .308 Winchester and 6.5mm Creedmoor with .277 SIG Fury Hybrid to follow. The design features a one-piece receiver with free-floating modular handguard and side-folding adjustable stock. Choose Black or First Lite Camo finish.

The Cross has some interesting design features:
— Two-stage Match Trigger adjusts from 2.5-4 lbs.
— Interchangeable flattop system that fits 0-MOA or +20-MOA rails.
— 3-Lug Bolt with 60° throw and interchangeable bolt handle. AI Mags.
— Light-weight 16″ barrel .308 Win version weighs just 6.2 pounds.

SIG designed the Cross series rifles for both hunters and PRS/NRL shooters: "Hunting rifles are typically focused on less weight, and accuracy is secondary. Precision rifles are designed for extreme accuracy, with no weight limitations. What was missing from the market was a true crossover. Our engineers took the best of both worlds and developed the CROSS featuring the characteristics of a hunting rifle, with the accuracy of a precision rifle", said SIG Executive VP Tom Taylor.

MSRP is $1779 and Gun Is Made in USA
The SIG Cross rifle retails for $1779.00, so it qualifies for PRS Factory Class. (We expect "street price" to be about $1550). SIG's Tom Taylor noted that this is truly an "All-American" rifle: "Everything about the Cross from concept to completion… comes directly from our U.S. operations here in New Hampshire." The Cross rifle was designed and built entirely at SIG Sauer's New Hampshire facilities.

CROSS Rifle Specs (6.5 Creedmoor):

Overall Length: 35.5″
Folded Length: 27.0″
Barrel Length: 18″
Barrel Twist: 1:8″
Weight (w/o magazine): 6.4 lbs.

CROSS Rifle Specs (.308 WIN / .277 FURY):

Overall Length: 36.5″
Folded Length: 25.0″
Barrel Length: 16″
Barrel Twist: 1:10″ / 1:8.5″
Weight (w/o magazine): 6.2 lbs.

cross-camo-right-web-logo.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion this is a much better midrange hunting rifle than a match rifle. The trend in match rifles shows a lot of guys running 24-26 inch barrels in rifles that weigh sometimes 3x as much. Few people are gonna wanna sacrifice the velocity with these short barrels.

As far as a handy, compact hunting rifle, I think this may aquire a following.

In my opinion this is a much better midrange hunting rifle than a match rifle. The trend in match rifles shows a lot of guys running 24-26 inch barrels in rifles that weigh sometimes 3x as much. Few people are gonna wanna sacrifice the velocity with these short barrels.

As far as a handy, compact hunting rifle, I think this may aquire a following.
I shot several RPR's and they were impressive but heavy for hunting...
I love to see innovation

I may be wrong, but do believe this has a cut rifled barrel as well. Sig seems to be stepping up their game in the hunting world. Nothing like competition to inspire innovation.
I wonder if they have any accuracy guarantee?

I had a thread going a week ago about sleek lightweight chassis and this was exactly the type of design I was talking about. I've been searching the heck out of the internet for the last few weeks to try to find what all is out there. As soon as I saw the pictures of this, and the weight I thought of the Fix by Q. They seem very similar. And coincidence that both are made in New Hampshire. I wonder how hard it will be to swap out barrels in this new gun. Good to see that companies are responding to what I feel is a gap in the market!

I'm looking forward to trying one. It checks a lot of boxes for me as a hunting gun. MOE attachments, barrel nut type like an AR, threaded short barrel for my suppressor, floating bolt head, easily disassembled bolt, weight, etc, etc.
After handling the RPR and Tikka chassis guns, they just wouldn't work for me at all. They seemed to be too heavy, sharp and just seemed clunky for a hunting rifle.

... I wonder how hard it will be to swap out barrels in this new gun...

I suspect that the bolt locks into a barrel extension. With an aluminium 'action' the design is probably closer to what European manufacturers have been doing for some time for straight pull rifles like the Blaser R8, or Browning for the BLR Takedown.

Are you the dude in the video?
LOL
I wish I could get free stuff !
I'm just looking forwards to a lightweight chassis that I can put in my pack as I walk thru the snowflake forest to my hunting grounds. I have built a few packable stocks but I have to assemble them. I'm not a fan of their cartridge choices so far but I can spin a 6.5 creed to a 6.5x.284 If it's as popular as the RPR there will be plenty of aftermarket offerings soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.