new scope

Brig Jones

It's clear that I'm going to need a new scope for the ranges discussed on this site. My hunting scopes are leupold vari x iii 2.5x8, 3.5x10, Zeiss conquest 3x9, pentax 6x24 for .220 swift. I'd like to get input on a scpoe suitable for 600yds. Plus. This is all new to me. Thanks, Brig.

I use & really like the Leupold 12-40X60 spotting scope. It is small & light enough to carry, but still yields great flexibility. If you wear glasses, it also has a huge eye relief. At times, you can't go above 25-30 power because of the mirage, etc., but at times the 40 power is useable. Shop EBay & you can pick one up reasonably.

Just reread your question & realized you probably meant a rifle scope. You are already using the scopes I use for the range you stated. If you think about it, shooting at 600 yds with a 9 power scope is the same as shooting at 67 yds with open sights. Your main battle will be figuring holdover. That is why I use a mil dot reticle to be able to hold over without guessing.

You should have enough power with what you have.I'll give you a heads up,with a little research with a scope that has a duplex or anything other than two straight lines in it,you can figure distance,by comparing lines to size.

he may have enough power but .. are these scope equiped with turrets? If not .. you are talking hold over swags.. not advisable....
I would opt for the M1 series in Leupold if thats the brand you like

I wasn't clear. What I need is a scope for ranges longer than 600 yds. Current scopes can cover out to 600yds. I've been reading about shooters comfortable at much longer ranges. I think that I need a scope with target nobs that don't slip and one that would have a ton of internal moa adjustment. I would like to avoid buying one on trial and error basis, if possible, given the cost. Sorry about the vague question, Brig.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.