New Scope?

remingtonman_25_06

I am wanting a new scope for the .257 WM I am buying soon. I love Leupolds, but was just thinking of others. There is a $500 limit. Here are the choices. Leupold VX-2 6-18x40 Target, Matte. $450 Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 Target $470. Sightron S2 Tactical 6-24x44 Target $425. I have 2 of the Leupold Vx2 6-18 Targets and love them both. Never had any problems with either of them. Just thinking of the Nikon or Sightron? Anybody have any thoughts or input?

Morning!

I like Leupolds,but have never heard anything bad about the other models you wrote about though.

I have had a lot of luck with the Vari-x III's.

I just recently picked up another 4-14 and really like the clarity. The thing I really like is the warranty, hard to beat.
I guess what I am saying is I would go with the leupold just becouse they never have let me down!

Good Luck!

Rob

www.bearbasin.com has Leupold 4.5 X 14 Tactical Vari-x III (last years models) for $469. This is with fine cross hairs and target turrets. I just bought one with the Mil-dot reticle last week.

I just check their website again and they are only listing the Mil-dot version for $549.

Matt

[ 03-25-2004: Message edited by: Matt Regalia ]

REM.25-06,
Sorry for the time lapse. I have always been a Rem/Leupold man. However, had a wild hair one day when I found somebody out in Ca. that wanted to trade a Nikon UCC Monarch 6.5x20x44 for a Leupold 4.5x14x40 with heavy duplex. He and I traded and I couldn't be happier. It has the fine crosshairs and I have it mounted on a 700 VS in .22-250. Talk about sweet! It's probably not as nice as compared to the Nightforce, but I don't need to put that much $$ in a scope.
The Nikon comes with sunshade and an extra set of target knobs. I would definately buy another. Johnny K.

Nikon Monarch...sakofan..
wink.gif

For me it would be a toss up between the Leupold and Nikon, but I probably would go with the Nikon due to the getting the sunshade and the extra target knobs. Also, you better shop around a little more, $470 for the Nikon seems a little high.

I was looking at the 4.5-14x50LR VX3 matte with a B&C reticle yesterday for a friend. Most every place has them listed at $689, Bruno's shooters supply was the only place lower... $584 I think. Amy said they won't have them until end of April, first part of May, most places are also waiting on them too.

Turrets on the VX3 Long Range model are re-zeroed differently than the other VX3 models, in that they lift up to align to zero then snap back down to lock in for actual turret adjustment. The other models have a ring below the turret that rotates around with a notch that aligns with the zero point on the turret, kind of the same as the Vari-X3 model is but placed below the turret assembly.

I'm in Australia and new to this website and to longrang hunting. I have been a gunnut and hunting enthusiast for 30 + years. Ever since I got serious about quality equipment I have had Leupolds in various models but all variables. I have just put a 4-12X 40 on my pre64 M70 fwt in 308Win. I'm going to get another to put on a pre64 M70 fwt 270Win I have coming from the States and I will put a LPS 3.5-14X 50 on my custom classiC M98 308 Norma Magnum for long range hunting.

All these will replace 2-7 variables which will be relocated to a rimfire and a 375 Chatfield-Taylor on a Ruger M77.

All my existing Leupolds were purchesed over 20 years ago and have performed faultlessly over that time. Here Leupolds are the standard though there are top quality European scopes (for a lot more money) that are appearing with rangefinding abilities. But for my money Leupold are the standard and if you want a range finder (a necessity for long range work) then buy one (there are plent to choose from) and leave the scope on you pet longrange rifle to do what it was meant to do.

I read in a "Rifle Shooter" magazine a while ago where Craig Boddington (in an article about long range hunting) took a fancy range finding scope from a prominent manufacturer off his 8MM Rem Mag because of difficulties with it and put on a Leupold in its place. This guy knows his business.

Good hunting,
Magnum

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.