new scope questions?

MSLRHunter

Hi guys, I need a new scope for a long range 300win mag, will be doing mostly deer hunting from 200-800 yards. I am thinking about a ziess 6.5-20with the Z800 reticle. Have any of you guys used this scope and how did it work. Also, another question, what type of reticle do you prefer? Illuminated? Mil-dots? Moa marks? or what.

Welcome, glad to have you here. Can't speak from personal experience about the Zeiss but, hear alot of good things here about them. For hunting I prefer Illuminated, moa. If your fixed on something in the 6.5-20 range then you might want to take a look at NF 5.5-20. Enjoy.

welcome cant go wrong with Zeiss that top of the line stuff with your round yes to Z800. I was going to get the conquets 3.5x10x40 with Z600 for my .06 but I got a burris insted and put the cash I saved in to the rifle best thing I did. What are you using for mounts? I just got a 7mm rem mag. Its got weavers on it now not to shure about them. Yes it nice to remove the scope but how sturdy are thay and did the zero change. I know go shoot it remove it and shoot agine WOW why didnt I think of that LOL

Last edited:
I have a Zeiss Conquest in 6.5 x 20. It doesnt ahve the Rapid Z reticle but as far as the rest of the scope goes I like it alot. Great clarity, tracks well, etc, all the stuff you expect a scope to do. It is a little heavy but then again its not on a gun I back pack with. My vote is Zeiss.

Hi guys, I need a new scope for a long range 300win mag, will be doing mostly deer hunting from 200-800 yards. I am thinking about a ziess 6.5-20with the Z800 reticle. Have any of you guys used this scope and how did it work. Also, another question, what type of reticle do you prefer? Illuminated? Mil-dots? Moa marks? or what.

I have a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on my 6.5 Sherman and I love it! Unfortunately, you can't get the Z800 reticle on the 20 power, only on the 14. You are limited to a varmit or Z1000 on the 6.5-20. You might give Zeiss a call and see if they can retro fit with a Z800??...........Rich

I have to admit to a lack of personal knowledge with the Zeiss optics. I have heard many good things about them. My offbeat thought would be to ask if you have looked at the Schmidt & Bender scopes. Their Zenith line of hunting scopes is hard to beat.
Just my 2 bits.....
Take care

Has anyone used or heard anything about a scope called osprey International . its a tactical 30 mm 6-24x 50 I know its a cheap scope, but what I seen at the wichita gun show it didnt look to bad . I know its not a Leupold or bausch&lombor even a shepeard. I was thinking of putting it on a 2506 or 220 swift. any help would be great thanks.

Thanks guys, I have heard good things about the zeiss, but they have no illuminated reticle. I may just have to bite the bullet and spend $1700 on the nightforce.

I am not sure I realize what exactly you are hunting/shooting with the reticle.

May I suggest Darrell Holland's ART, it is simple, combines Mil-radian with MOA (I only use the much more accurate MOA).

If there is something better out there I would love to hold it in my hands. I am on my second year with the ART and can't be anymore happier.

Give Darrell a call or take a look at some of his ART literature or both. He is a simply brilliant and straight up guy.

Wally

twobears, Osprey scopes according to there website (see below link) are assembled in china w/chinese labor but not Chinese components...Oh i'm feeling better now.:rolleyes: Take a look and see what you think. I personally have no experience with them.

About Us

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.