New scope help for a 220 swift

opie5500

I am wanting a new scope for my Rem 700 VS SF 220, mostly for paper and coyotes, I don't shoot the rifle all that much. I am needing some advice on whick scope to get, thought I would ask for some advice.
My budget is $500, I want either a 5-20 or 6-24 power, and a 40-44MM objective, I would like target turrets or Semi target turrets. Also I DON"T want mill dots just a normal reticle or a Target dot reticle. I am considering a Nikon Monarch 5-20 or the Weaver V24 6-24 scope. How are the turrets on the Weaver, and is the monarch worth the extra $150 for what i am going to use it for? Thanks for any imput!!

I have the Weaver 6x24 on my #1 Ruger 22-250 and it does ok turrets are ok. I had a Nikon and sold it wish I hadn't good glass nice turrets. I have custom 220 swift that has a 8x32 Burris signature on it. Longest kill 627 doe antelope. One shot just dialed up and way over for the Wy wind. Of course it took some range'n, scratch'n and fingering out to get there.<2min. Thought about changing and decided to keep it on the rifle. It's a switch barrel Savage 243AI and the 220 Swift. Works great for me AND it is 1/8 click's. I Wish the turrets were better size wise but they work. This scope works for those cartridges very well.

I really like the Zeiss Conquest Target turrets on my 6x20x50's (2 of'em) 257Wthrby/7mmRem Mag

I use dial-up only and crosshairs no mil-dots. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks Freebore! I have heard so so reviews on the Weaver turrets myself. I highly doubt I ever shoot over 500yds, just thought it would be nice to play around with the turrets at the range. How does your weaver track?

Weaver tracks fine shot PD's out to @500 then that 22-250 didn't get it so went to a Swift. Hits out to 750 with the 69's w/RL-22 but like the 55 BalTip w/N-160 at 3900. Just need the heavies in the wind.

The Burris has higher magnification for those longer shots at smaller targets. Glass is still good at 26 power where as the weaver really drops after 20.

I have a CZ 550 22-250 and love that gun, shoots same hole at 100yds almost every time. I recently got the swift, but it shoots under 1'' at 100yds with factory loads, just waiting on a new scope to do some reloading for it. I was hoping I would get alot of responses to help make my mind up on a scope. For the money difference I don't think the Nikon would benefit me that much more, I like the turrets better on the Nikon though, but I really like the Varmiter Plex in the Weaver scope

Vortex Viper 6x26x44 with target turrets. 30mm tube, side paralax adjustment. Quick set zero adjustment. Doug at camera land has them for $400 I believe. I have a few of them and have put a slug of them on. Never a problem. The one on my Stagg AR 15 varmint is still holding and returning to zero after two years of rough use in the ranch truck.

Check em out.

Vortex - Camera Land NY

Jeff

I have looked at the Vortex, and would buy one but I do not like the reticles, Im not a big fan of the Mill Dot or the BDC reticles, I am wanting a more normal crosshair, or a target dot, which I don't think the Viper comes in either of them anymore.

I have looked at the Vortex, and would buy one but I do not like the reticles, Im not a big fan of the Mill Dot or the BDC reticles, I am wanting a more normal crosshair, or a target dot, which I don't think the Viper comes in either of them anymore.

The last two I got were target dots. They are the ticket for gophers and PD's as well as yotes. The only complaint about the target dot is they can be tough to see in low light.

Jeff

I would consider the Viper BDC if the glass was superior to the Nikon Monarch or the Weaver V24. Thats the 3 scopes Im picking from, just looking for some feedback. I do like the turrets on the Vipers, and have read great reviews on them

Thanks Freebore, I was wanting a plex reticle at first but now I am leaning towards the Vortex, the hold BDC reticle, isn't too busy in the scope and the 30mm tubes are a plus.

i've tested the tracking of 3 vipers, 2 were the 6-20 models. both were about 10% off and repeated decent, but not good. the third was an HS model. 4-16x44. it repeated excellent and was only off a little in the amount it tracked. i'm impressed with the HS scope, a great scope for the money and under 500. if you can't shoot stuff with a 16x at 500 more power probably won't help. just my opinion.

I won't be shooting much at 500yds, My friend has a 400yd range 2 miles form my house so thats where I will be doing most of my shooting, and mabye a coyote once in a while. I think Im down to the Nikon and the Vortex, the weaver I have heard has some so so reviews. Anybody have the Nikon MOnarch 5-20x44 and would like to chime in??

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.