New scope has me confused

So, what is that with a MIL dot reticle and 1/4 MOA turrets? What is hte math formula? Distance between dots, etc get to inches, etc. Right now I guesstimate and see where the bullets hit and when it gets where I want - stop. Not very easy to do on the fly and hoping what I am shooting at stays put till I hit it....

This should help: provided aggravation is tolerated.

Screenshot (233).png

A mil dot scope if 1st FP or a 2nd FP set at a magnification to represent true mrad values can be used to estimate ranges if the size of an object is known. 18 inches is a common size object.

to estimate range or R = (target size in inches/36) * 1000 / mils = R

for example: an 18 inch diameter wheel of an abandoned farm vehicle spans the mid point dots having a 1 mil separation (the distance between dot centers), so
range = (18/36) * 1000 / 1 = 500 yards

a 16 inch distance between strands of a 3 wire barbed wire fence spans .8 mils (the distance between dot edges)
range = (16/36) *1000 /.8 = 555.55... or 556 yards

one dot exactly covers a 1 inch T post (one dot having a .2 mil span)
range = (1/36) * 1000/.2 = 138.888.. or 139 yards

Having a MOA scope with 1/4 MOA clicks entails some math, a nice little folding pocket calculator is a real big asset.

1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.047.... or 1.047 inches, 1 mrad at 100 = 3.6 inches
3.6 / 1.047 = 3.438 moa = 3.6 inches at 100

An ideal situation being shooting rock chucks at 500 yards with the 130 H ELDM bullet at 2980 fps.

The rock chuck is resting on top of a pile of half rotted boards next to an abandoned farm trailer having wheels 18 of diameter and these span the mil dots on your scope..
Range = range = (18/36) * 1000 / 1 = 500 yards

The range info sheet taped onto your rifle indicates a 6.6 MOA correction for a hit at 500, having a 200 yard zero. The click values on the scope are 1/4 MOA, 4 clicks per MOA, 6.6 * 4 = 26 clicks with 1 inch of daylight backline hold & vertical hold (head or tail end) up wind offset for wind velocity & direction.

should the MRAD reticle features be used to make the shot:

6.600 MOA up / 3.438 MOA per MRAD = 1.920 mrad up , go up 1 complete center to center interval & one center to dot edge interval with a little daylight.

I rather have a MRAD reticle matched with MRAD adjustments but you gotta use what you have.

Last edited:
Not sure of all the help you've gotten, but you could get a Mil-Dot Master slide for your understanding of the scope a little better maybe.
You would have it to refresh your memory( I need that alot).
Hope you like your new scope once you have the basics down.
Hhardrock

I have obviously opened a BIG box of head scratching with my OP. I'm sorry to have all yall reply and me working out of town so much now. it may be a bit before I can really dig into all this information. Might just be easier to send the scope back to Leupold and have them change it to MOA if that is even possible of just sell the dang thing and go back to one of my Swarovski scopes. I can say this that sucker is bright on a varmint rifle with a spotlight

I have obviously opened a BIG box of head scratching with my OP. I'm sorry to have all yall reply and me working out of town so much now. it may be a bit before I can really dig into all this information. Might just be easier to send the scope back to Leupold and have them change it to MOA if that is even possible of just sell the dang thing and go back to one of my Swarovski scopes. I can say this that sucker is bright on a varmint rifle with a spotlight
https://www.valdada.com/valdada-4-8-30x56-40mm-ffp-recon-g2-moa-moa-gap-illumin-reticle-ds/ I would check this scope out if your willing to spend Swarovski prices. It has 150 MOAs of elevation.