New scope for long range elk, $2000 budget

Have a Burris 24x scope. Could NOT get it dialed in. Called Burris and they told me I needed these tapered ring inserts to get proper elevation with that much X-power because their turrets wouldn't adjust enough. I bought the tapered ring inserts and finally got the scope to work, but it was a pain. Anyway, I posted early about the Leupold VX III 8.5-25x50 LRP.....Here's a GREAT deal on one on eBay. I think it's a FFP as we:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-VX...490199&hash=item2cf6574446:g:sd8AAOSwOl1dg4Rr

I'm looking to replace the 8-32x50 Burris black diamond on my elk rifle with something with better glass and FFP. I can spend up to $2k, maybe slightly more, but I'd rather pay significantly less if the difference is only slight. Some things to consider:

-I use my scope in place of a spotting scope on backpack hunts, so it needs at least 24x magnification preferably more.

-I don't care at all about zoom. As long as I can turn down the magnification to 8-10x, I have no problem shooting at close range or moving targets.

- A large range of adjustment isn't really important. I hunt with a 7mm ultra mag loaded hot, so it only needs about 20 MOA to get farther than I'll ever shoot at game, and I don't have the barrel life to practice outside of hunting distances with that gun.

-I would like a christmas tree-style reticle. In the past I have dialed elevation and held windage, but I would like to start working with holds using a reticle.

-I backpack into wilderness areas and hunt up at the treeline. With the 23oz Black diamond, the gun is already about 12lbs loaded with a sling and a bipod. I don't need a three pound scope. I'd like to keep it under 30oz unless a couple ounces past that will give some great benefit. This coupled with my indifference to zoom and range of adjustment is pushing me towards 30mm tubes.

-I am clumsy guy walking for miles above the treeline with a 12lb gun. In the next couple decades I will probably fall and land on the gun and scope more than once. I take 20 rounds and a piece of paper so I can rezero, but having a scope that holds zero when I do something stupid is a big consideration.

Here are the scopes I have been considering (I am open to other suggestions):

-Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. Way under my budget, and I don't mind that at all. I have an Argos BTR that is a great scope for the money.

-Nightforce NX8 4-32x50. Slightly over budget, and I'll never use the bottom of the zoom range, but Nightforce has a great reputation, particularly for durability. Also it is high magnification, but relatively light.

-Leopold Mark 5HD 5-25x56. It's a 35mm tube, but it is light for one. I've looked through them and I was impressed. I think the 56mm objective will help with low light situations.

Anybody have any experience using these scopes or something similar?
Check out tract optics toric line.

Scopes are such a personal issue that only you can really decide. While the more you pay for optical quality at a certain point there is no return for your money when you pay more. Look through several of them and decide which your eyes like best. I read some where a long time ago where a person would put a dollar bill at 100 yards or an eye chart type and see which scope gave him the most information at that distance and than under different light conditions. I recommend you do the same.

I'm looking to replace the 8-32x50 Burris black diamond on my elk rifle with something with better glass and FFP. I can spend up to $2k, maybe slightly more, but I'd rather pay significantly less if the difference is only slight. Some things to consider:

-I use my scope in place of a spotting scope on backpack hunts, so it needs at least 24x magnification preferably more.

-I don't care at all about zoom. As long as I can turn down the magnification to 8-10x, I have no problem shooting at close range or moving targets.

- A large range of adjustment isn't really important. I hunt with a 7mm ultra mag loaded hot, so it only needs about 20 MOA to get farther than I'll ever shoot at game, and I don't have the barrel life to practice outside of hunting distances with that gun.

-I would like a christmas tree-style reticle. In the past I have dialed elevation and held windage, but I would like to start working with holds using a reticle.

-I backpack into wilderness areas and hunt up at the treeline. With the 23oz Black diamond, the gun is already about 12lbs loaded with a sling and a bipod. I don't need a three pound scope. I'd like to keep it under 30oz unless a couple ounces past that will give some great benefit. This coupled with my indifference to zoom and range of adjustment is pushing me towards 30mm tubes.

-I am clumsy guy walking for miles above the treeline with a 12lb gun. In the next couple decades I will probably fall and land on the gun and scope more than once. I take 20 rounds and a piece of paper so I can rezero, but having a scope that holds zero when I do something stupid is a big consideration.

Here are the scopes I have been considering (I am open to other suggestions):

-Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. Way under my budget, and I don't mind that at all. I have an Argos BTR that is a great scope for the money.

-Nightforce NX8 4-32x50. Slightly over budget, and I'll never use the bottom of the zoom range, but Nightforce has a great reputation, particularly for durability. Also it is high magnification, but relatively light.

-Leopold Mark 5HD 5-25x56. It's a 35mm tube, but it is light for one. I've looked through them and I was impressed. I think the 56mm objective will help with low light situations.

Anybody have any experience using these scopes or something similar?

I've used the Viper FFP.

I've owned an NXS 5.5x22.
I've owned a Gen II Razor.

My next scope will be a NX8.

As far as I'm concerned nothing compares to a Swaro for a hunting rifle. I'll take one over a Schmidt or Diavari any day of the week. Tough, light, and clear, everything a hunting scope should be.

Objectives don't gather light, light passes through, and then it has to go through a much smaller tube so it's a moot point. You won't notice a difference between even a 40mm and 56mm in the same scope no matter how low the light is. Great glass and coatings is what determines light transmission.

If you have a chance check out the Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50, for the money not sure you can get a better scope optically, the new zero stop turret is positive and tough as nails.

I put one on my new 300 PRC build, I shot at 500, 650, 715 and 820 yards this last week and dialed up exactly as stated for my load/velocity from the ballistic app.

Thanks for the help guys. I got great deal Cronus BTR for $1000. I love the glass, and the mushy turrets don't bother me, so I'm going to haul that boat anchor around this season. I think the NX8 is the way to go, so I'm going to keep my eyes open for a sale or used one between now and next season.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.