New scope for lightweight rifle

hrh00b

Ok
There a bunch of threads regarding this topic, but also some new players in the scope world.
I've just recently purchased a new proof research summit rifle in 260 for a nice price. I want to get a scope for it that will enable the long shot while hunting deer in west Texas or elk/deer hunting in the mountains of new Mexico. I want to be able to d in all four elevation while keeping the weight reasonably light as it's going on a lighter weight rifle. I want to keep the price under 2000. I've got a 7mm with a 22x nightforce and don't really want to go that heavy. Here's scopes I'm considering:

New Leupold Vx-5 3-15x44
New zeiss V6 or V4 3-18x50
Huskemaw 5-20
Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18

Priorities are 15x. Reliable tracking, and weight in that order. Open to other suggestions too. Hunting to 800, but capable of shooting to 1000-1200 yards

I have the Bushnell LRHS and I like it a lot. They're discontinuing it though, so watch Georgia Precision around June because they've been having sales for $750. That's less than I paid with military discount.

i like the swarovski Z3 4-12x50.. its only 14.5 oz, super clear glass, and th ballistic turret model for long range is only $899ish at cabelas

Vortex razor hdlh 3-15x42. I'm happy with mine. Biggest win is the weight. Have had no issues with tracking. Really like the HSR-4 reticle. Very usable for hunting. Low light is pretty solid. Shot a mule deer in the last couple mins of shooting light in CO, and could clearly see everything.

Never looked through a Zeiss V4 yet, but the V6 will absolutely kill every scope that you listed in clarity and brightness. It's much better than the Swaro Z5 as well.
After using the V6 I can't stand to look through my Leupold Vx6 any more..

Just got a V6 in for a customer rifle. Weight is nice and light for the light rifle that it is going on. Will be taking it out to zero and verify drops hopefully soon if the weather cooperates. Will let you all know what I think.

Steve

Vortex razor hdlh 3-15x42. I'm happy with mine. Biggest win is the weight. Have had no issues with tracking. Really like the HSR-4 reticle. Very usable for hunting. Low light is pretty solid. Shot a mule deer in the last couple mins of shooting light in CO, and could clearly see everything.

I have 2 of these(one on 300 Wby and one on 264 WM) and really like them......light, good glass, good reticle, track well... ordering a 3rd very soon! Very Pleased with them!

The vortex vipers and VX-3i's are lighter than the scopes you have listed. Glass won't be as good but it would save a few oz. However, based on your gun weight and optic choices, I don't think saving a few oz. is on your list of concerns.

Never looked through a Zeiss V4 yet, but the V6 will absolutely kill every scope that you listed in clarity and brightness. It's much better than the Swaro Z5 as well.
After using the V6 I can't stand to look through my Leupold Vx6 any more..

This is the same issue I ran into when I got my HD5. Don't really care to use another other lesser quality scope. I hear tell the V4 is slightly better than the HD5.

The vortex vipers and VX-3i's are lighter than the scopes you have listed. Glass won't be as good but it would save a few oz. However, based on your gun weight and optic choices, I don't think saving a few oz. is on your list of concerns.

This is the same issue I ran into when I got my HD5. Don't really care to use another other lesser quality scope. I hear tell the V4 is slightly better than the HD5.
The glass on both my Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42s is at least as good as my HD5....

I have just put a Leupold VX6HD 3-18x44 on my light weight tikka build in 6.5GAP
20 oz. lightweight talley rings and their new level. Love it. NOTE: not FFP
FullSizeRender.jpg-4.jpeg
IMG_4509.JPG.jpeg

loving the setup.
SnT

I'm real interested in what you guys with the Zeiss V6 scopes find while testing the tracking and reliability of the turrets.
I've seen the crazy deals on the Bushnell and know the VX-5HD is a great deal too. But, if the Zeiss would track like the Bushnell, then I'm not sure that one wouldn't be perfect. I love me some Nightforce scopes...that's what currently sits on most my rifles. But, I think they're just a tad too heavy for this one. If the compact was 16x instead of 10x, it would be perfect. I've also had the Razor LH. It was great glass, but I got rid of it since it didn't have the exposed elevation turret.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.