New scope dilemma: 4.5-15 OR 6.5-20?!

wilkup

I have one day to make this decision and receive the special pricing available! This will be going on a Remington LTR chambered for 223 and used primarily for paper punching from 100-500 yards.
Which would you choose for this purpose and why?
Right now I'm leaning towards the 4.5-14.

IMO 6.5 on the low end is a bit high for close and 15 is enough for 500.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I have one day to make this decision and receive the special pricing available! This will be going on a Remington LTR chambered for 223 and used primarily for paper punching from 100-500 yards.
Which would you choose for this purpose and why?
Right now I'm leaning towards the 4.5-14.

Being as this is a range gun I'd lean towards the higher power simply b/c when Im on the bench I rarely if ever go below 10x. At 500 I'm usually 30-40x give or take, for me I'd have no problem stepping up in power. There will be times you wish you had it, esp if this is for competition.

The nice thing about higher power, if it is clear that is, is I can be more precise when shooting KY windage. In F-class I try to not dial in much and everything else is holding off. For instance this past weekend I had dialed 0.5moa at 600yds and was able to put my crosshair on the #9 for my hold off, then of course adjusted as needed.

Hunting, 4.5-14x.

Being as this is a range gun I'd lean towards the higher power simply b/c when Im on the bench I rarely if ever go below 10x. At 500 I'm usually 30-40x give or take, for me I'd have no problem stepping up in power. There will be times you wish you had it, esp if this is for competition.

The nice thing about higher power, if it is clear that is, is I can be more precise when shooting KY windage. In F-class I try to not dial in much and everything else is holding off. For instance this past weekend I had dialed 0.5moa at 600yds and was able to put my crosshair on the #9 for my hold off, then of course adjusted as needed.

Hunting, 4.5-14x.

Knowing this, what would your opinion be on the Leupold VX6 7-42 BR scope they offer?

Knowing this, what would your opinion be on the Leupold VX6 7-42 BR scope they offer?

I haven't had my hands on it, but if you like it and it fits your budget go for it. FWIW at that price range I'd probably get a NF, but to each his own.

After further information and finding you all recommending higher power mags, I actually went with a different option entirely.
I ordered the Leupold VX6 4-24x52 with the 34mm tube and TMOA reticle. Figured 24x is easily divided into 1/4 increments and I should be able to utilize that 2FP on 6, 12 and the full power 24x to range objects. While not this particular one, I have looked through several of the models in the VX6 line my friends own and think the glass is excellent. They're all tickled with the quality of their glass and overall workmanship. I have read the Leupold horror stories of late, but am crossing my fingers they've had enough time to work the kinks out over a year later.
Interested to hear what you all think. I'll post pics and my personal opinion of the optic when it arrives.
The rifle's going on is off to the smith to get the bolt opened up and reamed out to 22-250 AI. I also just placed an order for the Hornady amax 75 grainers! Can't wait to get this setup all put together and shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.