New scope concept

Rich Coyle

After thinking about my glasses, which are some kind of plastic, and my barrel which is carbon wrapped I wonder why we can't have a very good scope weighing six or eight ounces. When I got these new glasses I purchased the newest and greatest surface coating that is supposedly harder than glass. The carbon wrap on my rifle barrel is noticeably lighter than steel and supposedly tougher.

How 'bout a scope of VX-6 or z6 quality at a third the weight? Anyone in the know know what one would cost if they were mass produced?

You cannot get the optical performance of a vx6 or z6 with polycarbonate lenses. There are some very cheap spotters with poly lenses, but the material is chosen for its low cost, not its optical properties.

Perhaps that will change some day, but glass is where it's at, and good glass is dense and heavy.

I also think to get stiffness in tube the other materials would end up to big as in bulky

This a good question - I'd bring an optometrist into this conversation as high end poly glasses can be very good optically - I know my own poly glasses cost a mint - but stiffness would likely also be a factor (?)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.