New scope 264 win mag

I'm leaning towards the 4-32 nx8 or 5-25 ATACR afters hours of reading. I thinking sfp will be what I go with as well. I just don't find the need for another ffp.
If you go the 5x25 route and MOA vs MIL, get the MOAR-T-C555. C553 has the thicker reticle.

All good suggestions. Any reason why you prefer one over another. I've hunted with pretty much everything made besides March and tract. Also amg for 2k? I like mark5s and nxs/nx8. Not a bench gun this will be abused and hunted with hard. Toughness is my main goal.
If you have already hunted with all of these, which did you like the best? As far as tough goes, if this a dual purpose rifle and you are hunting and going to Afghanistan, then definitely Night Force. If you just hunt hard, any of the scopes mentioned will hold up if you don't pound your tent stakes with them.

For pronghorn hunting, actually all my hunting, I am. FFP guy. Accurate wind holds on any magnification you choose are a must for me. I have rarely had a calm day out in pronghorn country. And mirage is always raging when temps swing from 55° to 105° So being able to dial down and still have consistent holds without math problems is a must. Our last five pronghorn have been at 173 on 5x (5-25×56), 391 on 12x (3-20×50), 460 on 7x (3-15×50), 250ish on 4x (3-20×50), and 331 on 8x (4-20×50).

For $2k, I would look at the NF NX8 2.5-20×50 or 4-32×50. While the glass is not quite on par with the ATACR line, I like the lower end magnification availability. Having 2.5 to 4x is nice. The AMG would be a good choice, but 6x on the low end is too high in my opinion. I am quick at target acquisition, but just returned from an elk hunt where a 6.5-20x50 would have been much better if it were a 3-15 or so. That narrow FOV of the 6.5x minimum cost us two different opportunities on good bulls (a 300ish 6x6 @ 250 & a 300+ 5x5 @ 150 yards) when the hunter couldn't locate the bulls in the scope before they started walking away.

Looking for some input on a new scope for my 264 win mag. Will mostly be for antelope. Not really decided on 1st or 2nd. Will have custom turret made anyway. Looking to be in the 1500-2000 range. Trying to keep it light as possible.
Thanks for any input
Leupold Mark 5 HD. There are also some fantastic deals around on Bushnell Elite Tactical scopes. Check Midway and CameralandNY.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards the 4-32 nx8 or 5-25 ATACR afters hours of reading. I thinking sfp will be what I go with as well. I just don't find the need for another ffp.
I mounted a FFP NX8 4-32x50 for hunting. I do not like it. The crosshairs get so big at long range to it covers the small targets up.
I have the NXS 8-32x56 SFP and love it.

Best of luck with your decision.

If you have a month or so to wait, take a look at the new March 4.5-28x52. It is FFP but the TR1 illuminated reticle was designed specifically to work well at high and low power. Only available in Mils initially. The cool thing about it is it has a wide angle eyepiece with a larger field of view than anything else out there and apparently 4.5 looks more like 3.5 power because of it. It is also very short at 12.6" and light at 29.8oz even with a 34mm tube. Not sure on the price yet though, probably over 3k. Worth a look though for sure.

Try out the reticle illumination as soon as you get your scope...........
I did. Like the MOAR-T on the SFP 7-35 ATACR better. But it's not mounted yet where I can get behind it yet also. I did see the Halo everyone was talking about on low power. Green illumination isn't as bad. At least to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.