New Savage 110 Ultralite with Proof CF Barrels

Just got mine in 308. Topped with a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with the ZL turret. After a short barrel break in and shooting a couple different Varget charges I'm at 41.5 grans of Varget with 168 classic hunters. My speed averaged 2625. One group was Saturday and the other was Sunday, both groups are 4 shots at 100 yards.

Attachments

• 04F317B5-ACD9-4ECB-84FD-EE98C8D64071.jpeg
    04F317B5-ACD9-4ECB-84FD-EE98C8D64071.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 350
  • 215B7777-88E4-47A8-B92B-6A922B22717F.jpeg
    215B7777-88E4-47A8-B92B-6A922B22717F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 327
Just got mine in 308. Topped with a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with the ZL turret. After a short barrel break in and shooting a couple different Varget charges I'm at 41.5 grans of Varget with 168 classic hunters. My speed averaged 2625. One group was Saturday and the other was Sunday, both groups are 4 shots at 100 yards.
[/QUO

Be interesting to see what it will do with match bullet. What shooting support were you using? most of your dispersion is horizontal. A more stable platform and the shots could have been stacked.

Very nice. So it looks like the 308 has the Small Shank 7/8" barrel nut?

1589979924652.jpeg

has anyone got their hands on a 300 wsm yet? seems there might be both LS and SS (assume the wsm will be large)--wondering what OAL the box mag will allow and also wondering (on a 300wsm) what kind of lengths we are seeing to the lands with different bullets --if the 300wsm is a long action with a longer box mag, it might benefit from a new longer throat/lead to seat bullets out further than with the saami chamber

I'm going to make a wag that the 28n, 300wsm, & 6.5prc are large shank (weight shows about 6 lbs) and the 6.5cm, 30-06, 280, 308, &270 are small shank since they are listed at 5.8lbs

anyone weighed a stock yet?

Last edited:
has anyone got their hands on a 300 wsm yet? seems there might be both LS and SS (assume the wsm will be large)--wondering what OAL the box mag will allow and also wondering (on a 300wsm) what kind of lengths we are seeing to the lands with different bullets --if the 300wsm is a long action with a longer box mag, it might benefit from a new longer throat/lead to seat bullets out further than with the saami chamber

I'm going to make a wag that the 28n, 300wsm, & 6.5prc are large shank (weight shows about 6 lbs) and the 6.5cm, 30-06, 280, 308, &270 are small shank since they are listed at 5.8lbs

anyone weighed a stock yet?
  • 28 Nosler is large shank
  • Stock with plastic trigger guard and frame weighs 1 lbs 13.4oz
    • No aluminum bedding block, just metal pillars
    • Overall pretty solid feeling with a little flex towards the end
    • My barrel is free floated with a decent sized gap
    • Every aftermarket stock (long action) I can find will add some weight (.5 lbs) to substantial weight (2+ lbs)
      • Exception is MPI. I think they're back in business? Mixed reviews the last few years. Would cost as much as the rifle for the fully finished and bedded stock.
  • Max COAL of about 3.5-3.51" in long action
    • 180 Bergers HVLD hit lands and still fit in mag box
    • 195 Bergers - Not even close to fitting
  • Short action savages are usually about 3.00" max COAL, maybe a hair more
    • Listing everything as a "110" is confusing people. There are now 110 short actions
  • Listed weights aren't accurate
    • My 28N weighs 6lbs 6oz.
    • My brothers 28N weights 6lbs 7oz.
  • I imagine the 30-06 with 22" barrel and larger .30 cal bore "might" hit that 6lbs mark or close enough anyways.
The above is not to suggest I'm unhappy with the rifle I bought. Just listing a few facts and things I've researched.

Aftermarket support seems to be way stronger for short actions savages. If you're on the fence. I was going back and forth on 300 WSM vs 28 Nosler. Some days I wish I went 300 WSM so I could get a Manners stock with the mini chassis. Manners doesn't do long action savages (per email with Manners). Mcmillan will do their "Savage HTG" for the long action.

Last edited:
  • Stock with plastic trigger guard and frame weighs 1 lbs 13.4oz
    • No aluminum bedding block, just metal pillars
    • Overall pretty solid feeling with a little flex towards the end
    • My barrel is free floated with a decent sized gap
    • Every aftermarket stock (long action) I can find will add some weight (.5 lbs) to substantial weight (2+ lbs)
      • Exception is MPI. I think they're back in business? Mixed reviews the last few years. Would cost as much as the rifle for the fully finished and bedded stock.
  • Max COAL of about 3.5-3.51" in long action
  • Short action savages are usually about 3.00" max COAL, maybe a hair more
    • Listing everything as a "110" is confusing people. There are now 110 short actions

thanks for the info, never really seen a lightweight savage stock anywhere other than the mpi but I took a boyds and "skelitonized it" and came up with a 28oz stock (minus pad) that is really rigid (also done an mpi blank to save weight and $ and man was that a lot of work)
I heard that the prc and the wsm might be long action --can anyone confirm that yet?
also seeking any kind of "JTL/coal" with comparator with different bullets to see how "short" the wsm chamber is

XLR makes a Savage-fit magnesium chassis that weighs 1.75lbs (if I recall correctly) if you pair it with their carbon fiber buttstock. It is the Element 3.0 Magnesium model.

XLR makes a Savage-fit magnesium chassis that weighs 1.75lbs (if I recall correctly) if you pair it with their carbon fiber buttstock. It is the Element 3.0 Magnesium model.
short action only for savage, dont see a long action-- also, lets delve into the weight and cost:
magnesium short action- 16 oz, $550
smokes composites open rifle length CF stock- 4 oz, $260
limbsaver pad for smokes stock- 2 oz, $43
smokes composites cheek riser- 3.25 oz, $90
XLR titanium printed AR style grip- 1 oz- $160
XLR folding adapter- 5 oz, $115
Total weight = 31.25 oz Total cost = $1218 before shipping (more than the cost of the savage ULW rifle) ($39/oz)
yes its lightweight, yes its a nice rigid setup, yet the cost doubles the cost of the ULW rifle--BUT it is another option

I have done the lightweight thing on an LR308 and know it costs money-- (I built a 92 ounce one--could go lighter)--at some point the cost vs weight comes at diminishing returns

Bipod in the front and bags in the rear. I know the horizontal spread is me. I came from a 12 pound 260 and a 11 pound 7 mag. The Ultrlite finishes at 7 pounds and can be challenging to hold still for me but I'll get used to it

Just measured a round and what space I have available in the magazine

Attachments

• 7DEFE349-C8E6-443B-85F9-C1756CA0FB97.jpeg
    7DEFE349-C8E6-443B-85F9-C1756CA0FB97.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 231
  • 401E0AD9-7EBD-452B-8DA7-BDD84F70CB6F.jpeg
    401E0AD9-7EBD-452B-8DA7-BDD84F70CB6F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 212
short action only for savage, dont see a long action-- also, lets delve into the weight and cost:
magnesium short action- 16 oz, $550
smokes composites open rifle length CF stock- 4 oz, $260
limbsaver pad for smokes stock- 2 oz, $43
smokes composites cheek riser- 3.25 oz, $90
XLR titanium printed AR style grip- 1 oz- $160
XLR folding adapter- 5 oz, $115
Total weight = 31.25 oz Total cost = $1218 before shipping (more than the cost of the savage ULW rifle) ($39/oz)
yes its lightweight, yes its a nice rigid setup, yet the cost doubles the cost of the ULW rifle--BUT it is another option

I have done the lightweight thing on an LR308 and know it costs money-- (I built a 92 ounce one--could go lighter)--at some point the cost vs weight comes at diminishing returns

You really don't need all the add-ons you listed—Some already come with the stock when you configure it at purchase. The carbon stock comes with the riser and limb saver pad installed when you order it with the chassis. The chassis can be had in a highly usable configuration for about $300 less than you listed.

I did not go with the "diminishing returns" titanium printed (!!) grip— AR-style grips are plenty light.

Sure, $800-900 is some coin (I never said it was cheap), but the option exists for those that want a truly lightweight full chassis.