New Savage 110 Ultralite with Proof CF Barrels

Ordered my 28 Nosler today so looking forward to testing it out. Now I need to figure out which muzzle break to go with.
Check out American precision arms I have been posting their ads for sales during the Covid crap I have not posted in a day or two since I got no likes but they are having the Sale just the same

T

CONTRATS! Indeed!

So.... enquiring minds want to know, is it a small shank or a large ?

My original thinking was that it was a large since the 6.5 PRC is essentially a magnum, and I thought Savage had sworn off putting magnums out with the small. But then this is Savage, and the Proof PRC 24" Savage prefit is a small according to their website. Their 26" is a large and heavier, and since this is a 'Ultralite' maybe it is the lighter small? Or maybe Savage bought all of the large 24s...

Everything we have is a large so it makes no sense for us to add a small to the family, but dang I sure hope it's a large, been saving up since August. It looks like a Small though. Too bad.View attachment 191128
The rifle in the picture is a small shank just by looking at the barrel nut you can tell

T

CONTRATS! Indeed!

So.... enquiring minds want to know, is it a small shank or a large ?

My original thinking was that it was a large since the 6.5 PRC is essentially a magnum, and I thought Savage had sworn off putting magnums out with the small. But then this is Savage, and the Proof PRC 24" Savage prefit is a small according to their website. Their 26" is a large and heavier, and since this is a 'Ultralite' maybe it is the lighter small? Or maybe Savage bought all of the large 24s...

Everything we have is a large so it makes no sense for us to add a small to the family, but dang I sure hope it's a large, been saving up since August. It looks like a Small though. Too bad.View attachment 191128

FYSA,

Savage small vs large shank 1 of 2.jpg
Savage small vs large shank 2 of 2.JPG

BEAF0EC3-2D76-4D88-A109-7ECA7B594BCC.png
Here is the picture I was talking about and it has the seven eights nut longer nut small shank shorter nut large shank

View attachment 191693Here is the picture I was talking about and it has the seven eights nut longer nut small shank shorter nut large shank

That picture looks like it might have been taken off of the Savage website, so I don't know if I trust it as much as pics from an actual owner. As far as I can tell, every factory blueprinted savage action is a large shank

That picture looks like it might have been taken off of the Savage website, so I don't know if I trust it as much as pics from an actual owner. As far as I can tell, every factory blueprinted savage action is a large shank
I agree with what you say about your picture I just commented about the picture I saw in my post

Nice. Congrats, very happy for you and can't wait to get the after report, and hear all about its 1st range day.

Yes the photo I posted was off the net at the least if not the Savage site, dont remember which, that was why I asked. Couldn't believe it was really going to be a small shank.. But the Proof Research site only has the lg shank 24" 6.5 PRC barrel in the all steel version. In the fiber the large shanks are 26 or 28 inch only. All are too long for this build. 22" will work very nicely with the right hand load for it's intended purpose.

Been saving up to build a sheep rig for us for awhile. This looks like the unit I will be working with, what a great call. Savage did it again...

Next a Manners fiber stock, new lug and lift kit, titanium brake, timing, firing pin and spring, trigger, rings and glass. Pretty sure it will be a beauty and a shooter.That's the only way I can afford something like this, is to build it myself over time. Savage makes it possible for folks like us to own more than one half a minute marvel!

Nice. Congrats, very happy for you and can't wait to get the after report, and hear all about its 1st range day.

Yes the photo I posted was off the net at the least if not the Savage site, dont remember which, that was why I asked. Couldn't believe it was really going to be a small shank.. But the Proof Research site only has the lg shank 24" 6.5 PRC barrel in the all steel version. In the fiber the large shanks are 26 or 28 inch only. All are too long for this build. 22" will work very nicely with the right hand load for it's intended purpose.

Been saving up to build a sheep rig for us for awhile. This looks like the unit I will be working with, what a great call. Savage did it again...

Next a Manners fiber stock, new lug and lift kit, titanium brake, timing, firing pin and spring, trigger, rings and glass. Pretty sure it will be a beauty and a shooter.That's the only way I can afford something like this, is to build it myself over time. Savage makes it possible for folks like us to own more than one half a minute marvel!

May as well just build a rifle from the ground up if you're going to do all that to it!

May as well just build a rifle from the ground up if you're going to do all that to it!

Yep. Same as a Remington. 110 Savages shoot more accurately though. I don't know how the Axis are, never shot one. With a Remmy you pay a 'Gunsmith' to make it accurate and to change out barrels or swap calibers.

Savage 10/110s have the fastest hardest hitting firing pin of any McRifle bar none. So, in general Remmies and clones have a lighter bolt lift, and a smoother 'action'. In my opinion, Savages need bolt work. My 3 bolts all work very smoothly for me. 1st is the original factory, 2nd is a factory Savage Target. The third is a fluted PTG with a titanium and fiber target handle. The original, lifted and tuned is what we use in the Evolution.

All factory production rifles benefit from being lapped and timed. Savage has the 'best production' trigger, but I just don't care for it. The Remmy trigger has to be changed out; though the good news is that they are so horrible, that everybody makes one. Savage and Winchester not so much. But there are some really good ones, Rifle Basix, Timney and handful more for those that don't care for the truly lauded factory Acutrigger.

Right now we have 2 new barrels for the Evolution, a 308 20", and a 6.5 PRC 24", both are factory fluted Light Varmints. Right now it is still wearing the 6.5 Creedmoor it came with. Once I perfect the loads for the bullets we use, I can spin on a new/different barrel/caliber in minutes by myself, (and change the bolthead or bolt for a magnum caliber). That requires a gunsith with a Remmy, Winchester, Browning, or the clones.

With the Savage you get a inherently accurate, hobbiest owner friendly rifle. Every 10/110 factory rifle I have shot or have personal knowledge of, was near or sub MOA with some flavor of factory ammo.

Improving them is something l enjoy, and for the price of a few tools l get to enjoy a hobby that melds with 3 others I am coming to enjoy, reloading, casting, LR/hunting.
The way l figure it, parts I am buying anyways, but now no smith's markups labor charge, and no waiting 3-4 weeks for service.

With a decent custom receiver running $1500, or easily more, and then needing a smith when you change barrels or calibers? Not for me l shoot too much, and I don't need to send a smith's kid to college.

Yep really happy it is large shank, that means the 20" Titanium prefit 308 barrel gets saved up for next.

Yep. Same as a Remington. 110 Savages shoot more accurately though. I don't know how the Axis are, never shot one. With a Remmy you pay a 'Gunsmith' to make it accurate and to change out barrels or swap calibers.

Savage 10/110s have the fastest hardest hitting firing pin of any McRifle bar none. So, in general Remmies and clones have a lighter bolt lift, and a smoother 'action'. In my opinion, Savages need bolt work. My 3 bolts all work very smoothly for me. 1st is the original factory, 2nd is a factory Savage Target. The third is a fluted PTG with a titanium and fiber target handle. The original, lifted and tuned is what we use in the Evolution.

All factory production rifles benefit from being lapped and timed. Savage has the 'best production' trigger, but I just don't care for it. The Remmy trigger has to be changed out; though the good news is that they are so horrible, that everybody makes one. Savage and Winchester not so much. But there are some really good ones, Rifle Basix, Timney and handful more for those that don't care for the truly lauded factory Acutrigger.

Right now we have 2 new barrels for the Evolution, a 308 20", and a 6.5 PRC 24", both are factory fluted Light Varmints. Right now it is still wearing the 6.5 Creedmoor it came with. Once I perfect the loads for the bullets we use, I can spin on a new/different barrel/caliber in minutes by myself, (and change the bolthead or bolt for a magnum caliber). That requires a gunsith with a Remmy, Winchester, Browning, or the clones.

With the Savage you get a inherently accurate, hobbiest owner friendly rifle. Every 10/110 factory rifle I have shot or have personal knowledge of, was near or sub MOA with some flavor of factory ammo.

Improving them is something l enjoy, and for the price of a few tools l get to enjoy a hobby that melds with 3 others I am coming to enjoy, reloading, casting, LR/hunting.
The way l figure it, parts I am buying anyways, but now no smith's markups labor charge, and no waiting 3-4 weeks for service.

With a decent custom receiver running $1500, or easily more, and then needing a smith when you change barrels or calibers? Not for me l shoot too much, and I don't need to send a smith's kid to college.

Yep really happy it is large shank, that means the 20" Titanium prefit 308 barrel gets saved up for next.

That's what makes me mad about Savage. Bought my wife an Axis in 7mmx08 muddy girl plastic stock. Loaded 115, 120, 130 to 140 grain bullets for her to try out. Everything shot .75 groups without much load development. Out shot some rifles I spent way more than I should have. Pis* me off.

That's what makes me mad about Savage. Bought my wife an Axis in 7mmx08 muddy girl plastic stock. Loaded 115, 120, 130 to 140 grain bullets for her to try out. Everything shot .75 groups without much load development. Out shot some rifles I spent way more than I should have. Pis* me off.

Yes & a RAR can do that also.

Just ordered me one in 6.5 PRC. My local gun shop said he found 2 in stock from a vendor and I had him get me one on the way. I'll post as soon as I get it to the range about its accuracy. It should be here Saturday and it'll have a new scope on top of it within a few days after.