New Savage 110 Ultralite with Proof CF Barrels

Would love the opportunity to get out and shoot but the ranges near me are all closed. I planned to bring it to Nebraska for turkey season to shoot on my lease, but NE closed down the NR hunt season. Eventually...

Is yours a small shank or is it the large?

One of them in 6.5PRC with the long action sure is tempting, the skeletonized action with spiral fluted bolt is also on my want list. Just got to deal with the stock and figure out what to sell to raise some money I guess.

:p
Not one to brag, but I've always prided myself on having a large shank.

Not known, I dissembled to adjust the trigger & take photos but never looked. I have had a few savages but did not know the differences wrt small/large shank, to include where it is, what it is. I imagine your referencing the recoil lug...?

:p
Not one to brag, but I've always prided myself on having a large shank.

Not known, I dissembled to adjust the trigger & take photos but never looked. I have had a few savages but did not know the differences wrt small/large shank, to include where it is, what it is. I imagine your referencing the recoil lug...?
Lol...

Shank size is the end of the barrel that the nut is on. If you measure the diameter with calipers just in front of the nut (on the barrel itself) a small shank will be about 1.055" and a large will be about 1.120"

If it's a small shank I might just order one now lol

Yet I realize I am at another disadvantage. No calipers.

As mentioned by others, I am also worried the stock won't provide the rigidity i desire. Time will tell. All Savages in the past have been shooters and there is no reason to believe this one would be different.

I have had a few savages but did not know the differences wrt small/large shank, to include where it is, what it is. I imagine your referencing the recoil lug...?

Try ...

Savage small vs large shank 1 of 2.jpg
Savage small vs large shank 2 of 2.JPG

You'd think that, but all the "factory blueprinted" savage actions I've seen so far are large shank. That includes my short action 308w savage stealth
In that case they must all be large shank actions. I know they are all long actions by the overall length they list them at. I don't see why the large shank vs small shank action matters unless you had small shank barrels you wanted to swap around on it. Theres very little difference in diameter, I'm having a large shank turned down for a small shank action now. I like everything about them but the stock, the accustock with bedding block will swap right over or a CF would also fill the bill. Maybe a HS Precision savage stock with bedding block would be a thought as well (love that vertical pistol grip).

I don't see why the large shank vs small shank action matters unless you had small shank barrels you wanted to swap around on it.

That exactly why I want to know 😎

Just fyi, Savage made wsm and rum rifles in small shanks at first but then changed to large shanks for them, and proof sells them as prefits in either size. That's why I was hoping for something concrete here