New Savage 110 Ultralite with Proof CF Barrels

Oh
My bad I didn't realize a barrel had to be CF to be custom..
Certainly a cheap bundle if you subscribe to the "benefits" of CF over steel barrels, people who chose to buy them will just have to be ok with the factory configurations is all

A proper comparison should be apples to apples...not apples to hippopotamuses.

Everybody has got to BAG on something. I just bought a Savage LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor for $599, 2 years ago was $1100, As did 2 buds. Adjustable stock, aluminum accustock block, muzzle break "on" or "off" "24 or 26" barrel depending on your technical aptitude. All shooting 1/2 moa. Bag on the new Carbon all you want as in a year when they're $999 I'll be a buyer. Try not bagging on someone or some company trying to give us men something better for a great price. So glad it's a SAVAGE And what are the others doing? Still trying to figure out barrel lugs and triggers! and stocks.

Last edited:
Everybody has got to BAG on something. I just bought a Savage LRH in 6.5 Creedmoor for $599. As did 2 buds. Adjustable stock, aluminum accustock block, muzzle break "on" or "off" "24 or 26" barrel depending on your technical aptitude. All shooting 1/2 moa. Bag on the new Carbon all you want as in a year when they're $999 I'll be a buyer. Try not bagging on someone or some company trying to give us men something better for a great price. So glad it's a SAVAGE And what are the others doing? Still trying to figure out barrel lugs and triggers! and stocks.
Oh totally man, don't get me wrong there are a lot of cheap rifles out there that will shoot.
And it certainly is nice to see factory offerings that are at least attempting to catch up with the LR craze.

I've owned quite a few savages, Remington's, and Tikkas over the years.
After dealing with crappy triggers, accustocks, and factory barrels that always seemed to be a compromise for my intended uses I've ended up sinking piles of money into something that would have turned out better if I'd gone the custom or semi custom route from the beginning.
That's why I'd be Leary to drop $1200 plus on a rifle that I know I'd end up totally reconfiguring.

To each their own though, I'm sure it'll make many shooters happy

Oh totally man, don't get me wrong there are a lot of cheap rifles out there that will shoot.
And it certainly is nice to see factory offerings that are at least attempting to catch up with the LR craze.

I've owned quite a few savages, Remington's, and Tikkas over the years.
After dealing with crappy triggers, accustocks, and factory barrels that always seemed to be a compromise for my intended uses I've ended up sinking piles of money into something that would have turned out better if I'd gone the custom or semi custom route from the beginning.
That's why I'd be Leary to drop $1200 plus on a rifle that I know I'd end up totally reconfiguring.

To each their own though, I'm sure it'll make many shooters happy
I get ya. Just saying there are good sub $1000 rifles and they don't need anything. Most of mine are custom but I have my go to factory rigs as well. To each their own. Bravo!

Always some will complain and not be happy, were they really looking at the gun to buy? Most likely not, just to find fault when a factory steps out and does something pretty neat. Anyone can throw parts together and call it custom, long as it floats their boat. Would a post about it on here garner a fraction of the hits this thread has? Let you decide on that one ;)

Last edited:
Always some will complain and not be happy, were they really looking at the gun to buy? Most likely not, just to find fault when a factory steps out and does something pretty neat. Anyone can throw parts together and call it custom, long as it floats their boat. Would a post about it on here garner a fraction of the hits this thread has? Let you decide on that one ;)

Sad but true!

No you're wrong
I think it's very cool to see manufacturers teaming up to build these rifles and I really was considering one for a bit.
That is untill I started thinking back on all the disappointments I've had with savage in the past..

My first was a model 10 22-250 that couldn't shoot sub moa with a ton of load development.

My second was a lightweight hunter 7-08 that was supposed to weigh like 5.5 lbs but was 6.4 lbs, couldn't group under 1.5" and had the sloppiest bolt I've ever seen.
Plus the receiver was drilled off center so I had to use a special base to get my windage zeroed.

My third savage (yes I'm apparently a slow learner) was a weather warrior 6.5x284.
Seemed good at first untill I went to remove the stock so I could adjust the trigger, turns out the front action screw was totally cross threaded!
I couldn't get the bolt out so I called Savage, they told me I'd have to pay shipping both ways plus labor to fix it because there was no way to prove I didn't cross thread it myself!
I ended up spending close to $100 for a Smith to drill it out and re thread the freaking action.

Anyways maybe I'm just really really unlucky but please foregive my reluctance to pick up savage number 4..

Anyways maybe I'm just really really unlucky but please foregive my reluctance to pick up savage number 4..
Well you know, I've had bad luck with rifles thru the years as well. Difference is I keep looking till I find a brand or gun that I like, I don't bother to chase threads about the guns brands I dislike cause why try to rain on somebody else's parade? Like I said earlier, different strokes, I will believe what you say. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but you're not a savage fan. It came thru in your post when you tried to compare what everyone was talking about to something different entirely. That's what I took exception to...Heck I posted early in this thread and while liking the gun and progressive stance of the company, I won't buy one and than spend money for a different stock ( I don't hate the stock I just have a thing about internal bedding blocks.) Carbon fiber barrels aren't exactly the same as stainless Criterion pre fits you mentioned that are not even half the price ( I do however like stainless prefit barrels I got more than a few). So to address your quote above, I do forgive you for not wanting to buy another savage, heck nobody is asking you to buy another savage. Near as I can tell you're probably allergic to them or you just want that Ol' dog to keep biting you. :eek: Only thing I hate about savages is I can't afford as many as I would like, never owned so many sub 1/2" and even sub 1/4" guns till I started buying and building them. Good Shooting Dave

My point was that you can take an action that's much much better than a savage (yes Tikkas absolutely are), and get a barrel built to your desired specs.
No compromise with barrel length, inadequate throating, or twist rate.
Throw out my Criterion example and replace it with a proof Tikka prefit for $750.
Gonna cost you close to the same.

Like I said savages are cheap, and that's tempting but you get what you pay for my friend.
I'll be following people's reviews when these things have been out for a bit, at least with a proof chances are they'll shoot..
Good luck with yours, hope savage has gotten their act together since my last experience

My point was that you can take an action that's much much better than a savage (yes Tikkas absolutely are), and get a barrel built to your desired specs.
No compromise with barrel length, inadequate throating, or twist rate.
Throw out my Criterion example and replace it with a proof Tikka prefit for $750.
Gonna cost you close to the same.

The big difference is that you'll have to wait for your custom Tikka prefit barrel to be made, while you can just order up one of these Savages and presumably have it fairly quickly.

I haven't jumped on board the carbon fiber bandwagon but I do like the fact that there's another moderately priced factory option for those who are looking for a CF barrel. The cost of CF barrels is ridiculous and maybe this will help bring those prices down.

The big difference is that you'll have to wait for your custom Tikka prefit barrel to be made, while you can just order up one of these Savages and presumably have it fairly quickly.

I haven't jumped on board the carbon fiber bandwagon but I do like the fact that there's another moderately priced factory option for those who are looking for a CF barrel. The cost of CF barrels is ridiculous and maybe this will help bring those prices down.
Very good point, let's hope it pushes other manufacturers to build better factory options that are affordable.
Like I said I'll be folowing reviews