New Savage 110 FCP 338 Lapua Magnum

Harpersprops

I just picked up my new Savage FCP Precision in 338 Lapua Magnum two weeks ago.
I reinstalled the factory Picitiny rail with Loc Tite and lapped in the lower rings with a 30MM tool steel rod and clover compound and installed My Leupold MK4 4.5-14 50mm. I then installed my check rest and scope level (purchased from Len).
I then loaded up some Lapua brass with 285 Grain Hornady BTHP. Federal 215 Match Primers with 92 Grains of Retumbo. 3.681" COAL.
I laser sighted and was ready to break in the Barrel. 11 Rounds over two hours with a barrel cleaning and one round, barrel cleaning and one round, barrel cleaning......oh you get the point.

5 rounds at 100 yards.

Not counting the fouling round 4 rounds at spread of .911" - .338" = .573" group out of the box.

I need to work on my shooting skills and work up my loads. I want to try H-1000 and some Berger 300's if they become available.

I live in Landenberg, PA. Very South and Very East Pennsylvania. There are no Long distance ranges in my area with open membership and the longest is only 300 yards. I am stuck with my 100 yard range for now.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of Savage owners on here (all claibers). I have a few including a 338. It's a fun gun so long as you aren't standing next to it when it gets ignited.

Isn't there a longer range over in St.Clairsville across the river from Wheeling? I seem to remember a range over there.

I load 250 SGK's myself with H1000. Stay away from Hornady brass and/or Nosler, though I haven't had an issue with Nosler, Lapua or PPU. There has been some comments about Nosler though I have had no issue

All the 338's seem to have tight chambers and the 308's. Just bought a 16 in 308 myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.