New rock barrel

mo

Got my new Mike Rock AWS carbon wrap barrel yesterday. I have everything I need, but action. I'm going to use a Remington La or Remington la footprint.

Here's my question. The barrel is in .284 cal. and 8.7 twist. I'm favoring 7mm WSM or a 284 Winchester. I don't want to use a 7mm mag I don't like the belt. Max shot 1000 yd. on elk to deer sized animal. What would some of you chamber your 284 barrel in?

7 RSAUM! Just got my reciever barreled, haven't go it in a stock yet but I really like the case design. Just realized you were using a LA. I would step up to a Dakota or 7MM JAZZ or 7 X 375 Ruger wildcat

Last edited:
GLZ why the rsaum or the wsm? I'm going with LA where I won't have any problems with seating the 180 bergers to touch rifling and wit in magazine. I did think about the 7 Dakota. I think Len has a few rifles chambered in that. I need to check on source for brass. What is the parent case of the Dakota, and can you form it???

I like the RSAUM over the WSM because it has a longer neck. The powder capacity is between the 284 Win and the WSM. The Dakota is pretty much based on the 404 Jeffery. I would be interested to find out if you could trim and form RUM brass. If I had built a LA instead of a SA I would have probably built a 7 RUM. But by "handicapping" myself I should get a little longer barrel life. I cheaped out and bought a Magnum Research wrapped barrel. What the hell, I'll try almost anything once:D

I've got a 1/9 twist 7mm barrel up gunsmith now for a 280AI on Rem LA getting ready to chamber maybe next week. I may use that rifle this year for deer and if I get a cow tag for a combination hunt so my shots won't be that long for elk. He's also doing my back up rifle using a 1/10 twist 7mm barrel chamber for the 284 be a nice pair of rifles.

If I was looking for longer yardage I do a 7mag/7Wby have the case headspace on the shoulders won't have to worry about the belt and have it throated for the bullets I wanted to shoot.

Well good luck.

I'm shooting the 7 SAUM and love it, but once I have to re-barrel it I'm looking at the 284 Jazz. It looks like a true killer with 180 JLK's or 200 Wildcats.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.