New Rig From Kirby

buzz4me2

My long wait is over for my very first custom rifle. Kirby built me a .338RUM for all my future hunting adventures. I can't wait to get it out later this week to shoot it for my first time.

Kirby's testing had a 3 shot group at 3" around 800yds. I only hope to be that accurate. I'll get my chance to learn in 2 weeks when I'm at Shawn's class.

28" Lilja barrel
Borden Timberline Receiver
McMillan HTG Stock
Jewell Trigger
APS Painkiller break
Nightforce 3.5 15-50 NXS scope, NPR-1

Now I get to test all that I have read and learned about LRH. Scary but fun all at the same time.

IMG_1598.jpg

P7020206.jpg

Congratulations on a great looking gun.

I guess you'll be happy with it if all you want is accuracy, looks and the best workmanship you could get in a long range rig.:):)

Kirby builds the best, now just get out and shoot it and enjoy.:)

Hey DB,
The rig weights 11lbs with bi-pod. Barrel is #7 conture SS, 1-10 twist and I'm not sure by what you mean bottom metal.

Dbhunter,

I believe I misspoke earlier, I was thinking of another rifle I built at that same time. I believe this one has the steel ADL trigger guard with internal mag box.

Last edited:
Thanks Gebhart02 about the bipod. I was so excited to get it all set up and cleaned I didn't realize it until after I took the pic. Glad to figure it out prior to shooting it.

Superb! Congrats on a very nice rig. Enjoy the class! The fear'll be gone forever soon. Only grins after.

Buzz4me2

Clean looking. Kirby puts out a nice rifle.

What's your take on the ADJ HTG. I am gathering parts for another rifle and will use the HTG but wondering if the added weight is worth the adjustable cheek piece. I see that it is cranked up about half inch or so in the picture and your using a Nightforce so it kinda makes me think I should order the ADJ. Is that 11 lbs with the scope or without?

I do think the adj cheek piece is worth it. Looks better then adding one on later.

Rig weighs 11lbs with scope and bipod.

I got out today to shoot this bad boy for the first time and break in the barrel. At 100 yards my first 3 shots were touching each other. Needless to say the rest of the shooting went that way. Very tight groupings and I can't be happier.

Recoil was even less then I expected. Close to my .270 or a tad bit better.

Now it's off to longer distances.

I used H1000 powder and did not see an increase in FPS that others on here have mentioned. I recently purchased a keg of H1000. Kirby test fired the gun with Retumbo and settled on 89grains. This gave him 2700FPS and he was happy with that.

I backed down to 85 grains and only had loads to 87.5 grains for testing. Settled on 86 grains with a STD of 2.2. The FPS averaged 2632. I was expecting it to be hotter then what Kirby got with Retumbo.

Either way the gun seems to like that load so I'll go with that for now and see how it does in Idaho.

Thought I would let you all know.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.