New Rifles: The Good, the bad, the ugly

Thank You Mr. Bronner. I will check those tonight!! I'm sitting on some old Redefied Rings and bases from the 70"s. The were my favorite way back then.

Jay, I loke your follow up question. I would love to see the Win Model 70 Featherweight Classic, return in true Super Grade version, AA or AAA Claro or Turkish fancy wood, and pillar bedded for the factory. Also with a set of steel rings and bases blued to the same color bluing as the barrel and action. That would make a good-looking rifle and chambered in 270 Win. I would buy one.
Yes so would many people myself included

I wish Browning would stop changing the x bolt models every couple months, settle on about 6 models and stick with them for about 4 years. I think they list on the website more discontinued models than current models by about 3x. These aren't cell phones, a rifle should last 20 years.
Not sure I've heard ever heard somebody complain that a company is being to innovative. They do have a few old standard models that they keep in stock but vast majority of them are yearly specials that they do a limited run of to see how they sell. Those that do well are continued to the following year while those that don't are dropped and a new version is added to see how it sells.

It keeps people checking and creates a market where if you like that model buy it because it might not be there next year. The alternative is Winchester who has offered the Model 70 in the same models for the last decade, I stopped checking the site because it was the same stuff every year with zero innovation. If Winchester treated the Model 70 like Browning does the Xbolt I'd probably own more Winchesters but instead I had to build customs to get what I wanted.

Thank you Mr .Bronner, that is an incredible company. Love the Websight. So I have Custom FN Mauser, fully engraved with a Germa Heinsholdt Scope on German Claw Mounts. The scope is all discolored so I am hopping I they could remove the scope and refinish it . and put it back in the rings. The front ring is attached to the front bell of the scope. Thanks again Buddy

Attachments

• IMG_2819.JPG
    IMG_2819.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2820.JPG
    IMG_2820.JPG
    940.3 KB · Views: 62
Thank you Mr .Bronner, that is an incredible company. Love the Websight. So I have Custom FN Mauser, fully engraved with a Germa Heinsholdt Scope on German Claw Mounts. The scope is all discolored so I am hopping I they could remove the scope and refinish it . and put it back in the rings. The front ring is attached to the front bell of the scope. Thanks again Buddy
My pleasure sir, call me Jamie!

I am a firm believer in they don't make 'em like they used to. I am planning a small little hunting cabin down the road someday….Kelvinator refrigerator and heating and cooking by stuff found here: https://www.lapansantiquestoves.com/

When the power goes out….wood still burns 😉

I'm liking the Browning X-bolts, too. Tang safety is a winner. Being able to work the action with the safety on but still have a 'locked closed' bolt is right for a hunting gun. The four screw base mount for scopes is a plus. And - as pointed out above - a number of model variations available to suit just about anyone.

Gun I miss - tang safety Ruger 77s. (Thankfully still able to find used ones that haven't been too abused.)

Another one

I'm liking the Browning X-bolts, too. Tang safety is a winner. Being able to work the action with the safety on but still have a 'locked closed' bolt is right for a hunting gun. The four screw base mount for scopes is a plus. And - as pointed out above - a number of model variations available to suit just about anyone.

Gun I miss - tang safety Ruger 77s. (Thankfully still able to find used ones that haven't been too abused.)

Yet one more….I have bought a few guns from this guy….this one looks like a handy woods guns.

Lenny, just zoomed in on those pics….that engraving work is gorgeous.

After having a couple of rifles customized (a Sako V, because it was too light for a .375, and a Model 70 because it wouldn't shoot), I moved to Cooper. Picked up a couple of Dakota Varminters too, realize I'm on my own if something goes wrong with those.

After having a couple of rifles customized (a Sako V, because it was too light for a .375, and a Model 70 because it wouldn't shoot), I moved to Cooper. Picked up a couple of Dakota Varminters too, realize I'm on my own if something goes wrong with those.
Key word "if"……in quality rifles like those you likely aren't going to run into many problem.

Now if you had said "so I decided to go with a Mossberg patriot/TC Compasss" …..

I'm not sure what my problem is, but I can't bring myself to buy any of the current production guns. The last one I tried was a Seekins Havak PH2 in 300 PRC. It was a nice gun once I got the action broke in, but I never loved it. It shot OK, but not great. The stock wasn't bad, but I just didn't like the way it fit me. The tigger was good, but face of the trigger was a little too wide and "sharp". I really liked the bottom metal/carbon fiber magazine and that was what initially got me to buy it.

I just can't find the right combination of features and available chamberings in any production guns right now. The last rifle I bought that that checked every box was a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger, and that was probably 12 years ago. It was perfect, a 20" barrel, controlled round feed bolt, hinged floor plate, excellent all-round performance chambering, accurate, and an indestructible scope mounting system. That particular Ruger is the smoothest, fastest, and most reliable action I've ever owned or shot, and that includes custom actions from BAT, Defiance, Borden, ARC, Impact, Stiller, Curtis, and Bighorn.

I'll admit that one of the new Weatherby Backcountry Carbon 2.0 rifles in 338 RPM looks like it has potential. If only it was a CRF action!