New Rifles: The Good, the bad, the ugly

My dad and I have a very EXTENSIVE collection of 99s
If the Winchester 88 didn't have a ten pound trigger I'd love to have one and chamber it in 338 Federal. I was of the mindset that everything can be tweaked but everything I have read from gunsmithing forums basically says there is no tweaking the trigger on the 88, it is was it is. But they are just attractive rifles and I love a lever gun.

Those FinnWolfs are also beautiful and I have heard nothing but good regarding their abilities. I get manufacturing costs and "we'd have to sell them for more than people would be willing to pay to make a profit." Clearly these folks making these decisions haven't met some of us….I'd live in a pop tent in my backyard this winter and rent my house out to pay for a brand new FinnWolf

Marlin MR7
I like your style Darryle.

For bolts I'd love to see TC bring back the Icon and dump the venture and compass lines entirely. Love what they have in the Encore and the new 10/22 clone they have is basically perfect, it takes care of all the mods a home builder would make. But those budget bolts from them just don't set my heart thumping.

So here's another spin on this topic….if you could see a manufacturer bring back an old model, new and improved….what would you like to see?

For me:
1) Sako FinnWolf
2) Winchester 88
3) Savage 99

Spoiler alert: I like centerfire lever guns 😜

Another one I would like to see again would be the original Winchester XTR Win-Tuf, I have one in 300 Weatherby that I killed my first 2 elk with using an old Redfield "TV" view scope, I also ended up with 23 stitches above my right eye because of the bite. As long as it has the original Winchester trigger, I'd be a buyer, especially in 280 Ackley.

Targets, please.

I bought all 5 versions, 25'06, 270, 280, 308 and 30'06 when Bass Pro put them on clearance for $288 back in the late 90s. I also bought 2 30'06 Winchester Model 70 Black Shadows, those with the floorplate, also for $288. I think they had the Remington 700s for the same price and maybe the Ruger 77s, I know it was connected to the lawsuit against Marlin for infringement. I went back and bought another MR7 in 30'06 and shot it, my nephew was 1 or 2 at the time, he's in his mid-late 20s now and he's piled up a bunch of deer and pigs with that rifle.

Like a blooming idiot, I sold them all when people posted WTB ads, doubled my money, but I would dang sure pay appropriately for a new version with today's technology in the barrel.

Another one I would like to see again would be the original Winchester XTR Win-Tuf, I have one in 300 Weatherby that I killed my first 2 elk with using an old Redfield "TV" view scope, I also ended up with 23 stitches above my right eye because of the bite. As long as it has the original Winchester trigger, I'd be a buyer, especially in 280 Ackley.
If I win the lotto I buy Redfield and bring back their scopes with the only change being water shedding lens coatings and glass etched reticles. Leupold had a missed opportunity there, some would say they pulled a Remington….I love the old Redfield Widefields!

Attachments

• 556E1E0E-B7C0-4D81-A043-6F3CE2395C91.jpeg
    556E1E0E-B7C0-4D81-A043-6F3CE2395C91.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
I bought a refurbished Redfield wide field off the classifieds here a few months ago. I don't have anything special planned for it but I'll find a older classic rifle for it eventually. Does butler creek or someone else still make the flip ups for them?

I bought a refurbished Redfield wide field off the classifieds here a few months ago. I don't have anything special planned for it but I'll find a older classic rifle for it eventually. Does butler creek or someone else still make the flip ups for them?
Butler creek does, but if you look on the Vintage Gun Scopes website they have all sorts of 1 offs and other period correct oddities that may fit the bill for you. I was blown away by the sheer amount of obscure parts I could get there. Owner is super nice as well. I sent him a scope to be refurbished that apparently had been mucked around before he got it and there was a slight imperfection on the lens, he called me up and said if it's a sentimental thing you can keep it or if you'd like we can give you a scope that's pristine. I opted for pristine but just loved how it was handled. He earned my business.

Butler creek does, but if you look on the Vintage Gun Scopes website they have all sorts of 1 offs and other period correct oddities that may fit the bill for you. I was blown away by the sheer amount of obscure parts I could get there. Owner is super nice as well. I sent him a scope to be refurbished that apparently had been mucked around before he got it and there was a slight imperfection on the lens, he called me up and said if it's a sentimental thing you can keep it or if you'd like we can give you a scope that's pristine. I opted for pristine but just loved how it was handled. He earned my business.
Thanks I will definitely check them out

I picked up a CA ridgeline in 6.5 PRC on sale plus rebate…so I rolled the dice. I only have 20 rounds through but it groups fine so far. Definitely need to work the bolt with authority or it won't extract properly but it may be a rail issue. I guess it's hit or miss because I only see "love" or "hate" posting not much in between

I picked up a CA ridgeline in 6.5 PRC on sale plus rebate…so I rolled the dice. I only have 20 rounds through but it groups fine so far. Definitely need to work the bolt with authority or it won't extract properly but it may be a rail issue. I guess it's hit or miss because I only see "love" or "hate" posting not much in between
"Rail issue"? The 6.5 PRC has known extraction issues, Just a fyi. Do a search here and you will see a entire thread dedicated to it.

"Rail issue"? The 6.5 PRC has known extraction issues, Just a fyi. Do a search here and you will see a entire thread dedicated to it.
I saw that I'm just basing that off my experience with 20 rounds. So if it's the same issue it's sporadic and not as pronounced unless you work the bolt slowly.

I saw a YouTube video where the did a slo motion and several times the brass was hitting the rail….either way not extracting.

But so far I have not had many of the other issues some experienced - keeping in mind 20 rounds in 30 minutes is not much