New Rifle.

KyCarl

I'm looking at a rifle. I'm trying to get a Kentucky Elk tag. They have a stupid rule of .270 or bigger!
So a .30 Carbine is OK but not my 6.5 X 284? I think I want a 7MM Rem or a .300 Winchester
either should work? I found this rifle and like it. Made by R. Crouse in Pennsylvania I know diddly squat about the maker or his work. So look it over and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks..
http://rcrouserifles.com/product/300-win-mag-coroner/

Without meaning any disrespect for your choice, I will guess that this rifle weighs in around 12 lbs without a scope or loaded magazine. Apparently it uses an 'M40' contour barrel and fairly large McMillan stock.

In terms of hunting where we always end up carrying our rifle more than shooting it, I can suggest looking at lighter weight builds for about the same amount of money.

Even with something along the lines of a Bartlein #4 barrel with a Borden or Defiance action bedded into a Manners carbon fiber stock or one of the McMillan lightweight stocks, your weight can be significantly lower. Most hunters don't need a DBM because of weight and convenience of carrying so an ADL/BDL configuration works. With the weights of components coming down all the time, you can get a top quality rifle weighing in around 7 lbs topped off with a lighter scope which will shoot 1/2" or maybe better groups.

Your choice of cartridges though is fine, either the 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win mag will be super for elk, although I agree with using a 6.5mm when the rules allow.

Regards.

I have a Yamaha Grizzly to ride then it's mostly sitting and waiting.
Get in early and ambush them leaving the hay fields and gardens. We don't have those wide open places like I see on TV? They do get some really nice Elk here on reclaimed strip mining areas . I think it's the mild winters and we don't have wolves only cars
But I will look some more I saw a 7MM with a Ti action and carbon barrel that was pretty light but with increased recoil?

I'm looking at a rifle. I'm trying to get a Kentucky Elk tag. They have a stupid rule of .270 or bigger!
So a .30 Carbine is OK but not my 6.5 X 284? I think I want a 7MM Rem or a .300 Winchester
either should work? I found this rifle and like it. Made by R. Crouse in Pennsylvania I know diddly squat about the maker or his work. So look it over and let me know if I'm headed in the right direction. Thanks..

There are elk in kentucky? That is awesome. I need to head that way.

If you want to pack that rifle, then I dont see an issue with it. One positive of having a heavy rifle is that you can always work out and get stronger to hump it over long distances.

I imagine, like you said you were going to do, kentucky hunting is much like georgia hunting. You do preseason scouting, find good spots, and get to your spots and set up and wait when the season comes around. A heavy rifle is perfect for that.

I'd lean towards the 300. A lot of people consider the 270 a minimum. Distance factors into the cartridge decision. If your shoots are 450 or less the 308/ '06 are plenty.

Nobody ever said laws had to make sense...Said every Democrat ever.

As for the rifle choice, you'll enjoy the 7mm RemMag. It's not the prettiest girl at the ball (by today's weird standards), but she'll still turn a head or two. :cool:

Excellent choice, the .300 WM remains my go to chambering. Nice rifle, IIWY, I'd have a 1:9" or faster, but that's just me. Good luck!

well, thats a way better reason than ive ever had to get a new rifle

you may as well get both , you may not be able to find a good cleaning kit for the first one , and a spare is always handy to take on a hunt like that :D

A bit more thump is never a bad thing with a bigger critter like an elk, but the 7rem should be enough if you are picky on your bullet. I'd get the 300 myself if I had a decent 6.5 or 7 already though.

I have a Yamaha Grizzly to ride then it's mostly sitting and waiting.
Get in early and ambush them leaving the hay fields and gardens. We don't have those wide open places like I see on TV? They do get some really nice Elk here on reclaimed strip mining areas . I think it's the mild winters and we don't have wolves only cars
But I will look some more I saw a 7MM with a Ti action and carbon barrel that was pretty light but with increased recoil?

Brake!

7mm will do it for sure.
For a woods hunting rifle I would strongly recommend skipping a brake

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.