New Rifle?

drtony

hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a new bolt action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will primarily use it for hunting, but might get into shooting steel at long ranges eventually. I have been looking at a couple different rifles, but would like to know what you all think.

I've been considering (all are similar in price— within a hundred or so):

Xbolt pro long range
Weatherby mark v accumark
Bergara premiere approach

I have a leupold vx6hd 3-18x50 to pair with it.

Some things that are important to me:
- short(er) bolt throw
- stainless steel barrel/action
- 24-26" barrel
- solid/ durable construction with high reliability
- accurate

These are in no apparent order. Also, I don't want to go over the $1700 1800 price range. So making a custom really isn't a good option as it will be used this fall for hunting.

I would definitely be looking at the Xbolt pro Long Range. Browning has tightened up the twist on their barrel to match the new heavy for caliber 150 Gr. 6.5 bullets coming out by Sierra and Berger. Browning now does a 7 twist in the 6.5 creedmoor. Everyone else is still doing an 8 twist!

The browning is just better all the way around. Nice slick 60 degree bolt throw, carbon stock, cerakote stainless steel action and barrel, fluted barrel, removable brake with thread cover, and LAPPED barrels. Plus a good trigger and if you don't like it, you can replace it with a timney trigger that goes down to 1.5 lbs.

I'm a Savage guy myself these days, but do have a Browning ABolt that I have shot for years. The browning is a nice rifle and would be great with that VX6HD scope you have.

Have either of you shot a pro? The 7 twist was a huge interest point!

I would git the bergara, takes AICS mags, almost custom barrels, custom action, custom trigger, and custom fiberglass stock. I have two bergara b-14s A hunter in .300wm and a HMR in 6.5 creedmoor, both are 1/2 moa to one large hole at 100yds.

That's a nice sheep at over 600 yards. Getting a bighorn is one of 2 dream hunts I hope to do!

From what I can gather, the hells canyon speed is abou the same thing except the carbon fiber stock and stainless steel barrel-action on the pro?

I would git the bergara, takes AICS mags, almost custom barrels, custom action, custom trigger, and custom fiberglass stock. I have two bergara b-14s A hunter in .300wm and a HMR in 6.5 creedmoor, both are 1/2 moa to one large hole at 100yds.

I like the bergara, just can't find much of a review on them. How is the premier action/barrel different from the regular bergara rifles?

I like the bergara, just can't find much of a review on them. How is the premier action/barrel different from the regular bergara rifles?
Cut to better tolerance, slicker action, floating bolt head, and some more custom features. As to the barrels they are much like a match grade shilen barrel. Look up there barrel process on google.

I would go with the Bergara approach, I like the m40 style stock for hunting and lr prone shooting. Their stocks are high quality, I'm using a hmr stock on my milspec at the moments and it's been really good. Comes with a tt trigger too.
The xbolt would be my 2nd choice.

hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a new bolt action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I will primarily use it for hunting, but might get into shooting steel at long ranges eventually. I have been looking at a couple different rifles, but would like to know what you all think.

I've been considering (all are similar in price— within a hundred or so):

Xbolt pro long range
Weatherby mark v accumark
Bergara premiere approach

I have a leupold vx6hd 3-18x50 to pair with it.

Some things that are important to me:
- short(er) bolt throw
- stainless steel barrel/action
- 24-26" barrel
- solid/ durable construction with high reliability
- accurate

These are in no apparent order. Also, I don't want to go over the $1700 1800 price range. So making a custom really isn't a good option as it will be used this fall for hunting.
Do not overlook this rifle...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/42441/Remington+Firearms+85198+700+5-R+Gen+2+Bolt+6.5+Creedmoor+24+4+1+Synthetic+HS

It has all your criteria (stainless action and barrel, just Cerakoted black). 24" threaded barrel. Solid construction and proven reliability. **** sure has the accuracy part proven. The 5R Milspec rifles are not your standard Rem 700. They use special 5R barrel blanks for them, and they are high-quality. I have 2 of them (.308 & 300WM). I want to add one of these in .260 Remington to my 5R collection.

With handloads, it will most-likely be the most accurate factory rifle you have ever shot. It will need an aftermarket trigger immediately, as all Remington's trigger suck thanks to lawyers allowing idiots to sue Remington.

Another thing to think about is weight. The Browning is about 1.5 pounds lighter than a couple of the other rifles mentioned. Much of that is due to the carbon stock. Carbon is much lighter than fiberglass. It is also stiffer and stiffness is a great quality in a long range stock.

The Browning also has a flush fitting mag. If this is to be primarily a hunting rifle, you will more than likely be carrying it a lot. It is difficult to carry a rifle with a long magazine in a balanced fashion. the mag tends to be right where the natural balance of the rifle is and gets in the way. Now, if it's more of a LR or PRS or Steel shooting rifle. the heavier stock and AICs mags would be a plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.