New rifle

dogbuster0006

I've been looking for a new rifle for a while and I pulled the trigger on a Ruger American rifle and a Redfield revolution this wk. I had some inhibitions on buying a $350 rifle but after yesterdays range session I couldn't have been more wrong, We've all read those rave reviews on products and been disappointed this is deff not the case here. I've always thought you needed to spend a big chunck of change on decent glass too, Redfields revolution scope has suprised me, I found mine at sportsmanswarehouse for $250. This has been one heck of a combo and can't wait to get her out in the in the field. All my other rifles wear much more expensive glass and cost much more than this one. About the only complaint i have of this rifle is the trigger and I'm sort of biased so take it for what it's worth but, all my other wear timney and jewells set to around 12oz I like them light. That being said for a factory trigger this one is pretty good.
The shots were all at 100yd from a bench, keep in mind this was just a sight-in and confirming of zero not a prolong test with several diff load combos. I only tried two diff loads they were the hornady 58gr v-max and federal 80gr sp. This rifle shot both just fine.
Yesterday was 16 degrees light snow very little wind 1-3mph.
Three shot group are hornady that's 3 shots you can cover with a quarter at 100yd with a $350 rifle.
Two shots with the federal 80gr my fingers were numb at this point and I had to call it quits early.

Attachments

• IMAG0249.jpg
    IMAG0249.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0251.jpg
    IMAG0251.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 69
I recently read an article in Rifle Shooter and they did an article on the Ruger. The author did not have much negative to say and alot of positive to say which is unusual in todays world. I have been eyeballing one of these in the same caliber also. Nice shooting too..

Last edited:
Once ever three or four stands I'd howl a couple times. Next trip out I'm going to howl and listen for an answer if i get one I'll hunt if not I'll drive on. Blind calling seems to be a waste of time here, there are miles and miles of area to hunt figure it's time to cover more ground.

Remember, lynx can take quite a bit of time to come in. With the rabbit population way down it may produce good results. What bullet are u shooting? The 80 gr Hornady fmj was a sub inch bullet in my 243 and seems to kill them just fine. Works from fox to wolves. And doesn't blow them up.

dogbuster thank you for the report. I see a lot of these rifles in the fun shops
but I have not heard any first hand reports so far. Glad to hear yours is as
accurate as it is. And I to am a fan of the 243 win., seems the more I shoot it the more I like it.

I've been taking 45min or so on each stand, making a few calling sequences per stand not really doing anything diff than I did back home. I always give a good deliberate scan before I pack things up and relocate too. I'm thinking it's just nothing close enough to hear the call except moose and birds...lol Only a matter of time before my target animals are in the area and I connect.

Thanks for the support on the review too guys, I hadn't found a review buy some one who wasn't trying to sell them. Figured we could all benefit from an honest opinion on the rifle. I grew up shooting the 243win killed everything from racoons to deer with the caliber. I used to use the 75gr hp, for deer always used hornady 95gr bt they're rough on fur but will absolutely drop deer with a neck or even well placed behind the shoulder shot. I'm shooting the 58gr hornandy v-max superformance so far, haven't tested it on critters yet, I'll let you guys know how they perform asap. If anyone has used them feel free to let us know. Good luck and happy hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.