New Rifle Troubleshooting

As follow up... I just picked up the rifle from the second smith:

*loading rounds from the mag left marks on the bullet. The action is titanium and there was a sharp edge in the chamber that was relieved to eliminate this issue.
*a small area beyween the stock and action was relieved.
*barrel cleaned to metal and 2 spoilers. Next three rounds were at 0.47 MOA.

I am happy with this outcome but I might try some custom rounds just to see if the difference is noticable.

I appreciate the help!

I have a trued up Remington action the same manners eh1 stock and a proof carbon fiber barrel in 6.5 x 284
the best I can get on a good day is half a minute accuracy I am not happy with the accuracy for a long range precision rifle for hunting rifle it will do just fine and this is my second proof barrel so it is not a fluke I handload and have tried every bullet powder combination I can come up with and have read about with the same results
Bill if half MOA won't satisfy you for a hunting rifle you probably need to find another hobby because it may cost you tens of thousands of dollars to even equal that performance much less improve on it.

As follow up... I just picked up the rifle from the second smith:

*loading rounds from the mag left marks on the bullet. The action is titanium and there was a sharp edge in the chamber that was relieved to eliminate this issue.
*a small area beyween the stock and action was relieved.
*barrel cleaned to metal and 2 spoilers. Next three rounds were at 0.47 MOA.

I am happy with this outcome but I might try some custom rounds just to see if the difference is noticable.

I appreciate the help!
When you load the rounds into the box is there any free space? Have you measured the length of both the rounds and the box?

You may very well need to have them remove the existing mag box and bottom metal and replace it with a longer box or DBM to allow you more room for loading. If you have no room to seat bullets long it's going to be a limiting factor for the life of the rifle.

Bill if half MOA won't satisfy you for a hunting rifle you probably need to find another hobby because it may cost you tens of thousands of dollars to even equal that performance much less improve on it.
I should have a minute for a precision rifle a half a minute hunting rifle will do just fine and I do have thousands of dollars in it

I should have a minute for a precision rifle a half a minute hunting rifle will do just fine and I do have thousands of dollars in it
I said I was not happy with half a minute for a precision rifle for a hunting rifle it will do just fine and I do have $5000 in this rifle

I said I was not happy with half a minute for a precision rifle for a hunting rifle it will do just fine and I do have $5000 in this rifle
I misread it. Half MOA will win just about any long range competition or at least put you in the top tier of shooters.

You can spend far more than 5k on a rifle and not beat that but with enough load work most that are that capable can be tightened up. It takes a lot of effort and exactly the right rig usually to be consistently below . MOA.

what u will gain with reloads may not necessarily be way tighter groups but they will be more consistent especially when looking at factory ammo from lot to lot. This is no different in reloading by jumping from one lot of powder to the next. However, when reloading u can control variables and super tune that powder charge a bullet jump to specific rifles liking. I enjoy reloading prolly more than actually shooting. It's amazing with the right bullet/powder combo how consistent u can make a rifle! Very nice stick brother

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.