New Rifle Troubleshooting

Please take no offense, I do not want to assume anything but since your 6.5 shots seems to be OK, can you possibly be flinching as you anticipate the 7MM RM's recoil? Does it have a muzzle brake?

A few years ago, I was at the Tucson Rod and Gun Club in AZ sighting my rifle and my two sons'. Fired 3-shots each and packed them. While waiting for the range to be safe and clear so I can retrieved my targets, I was admiring the shooter's rifle next to me, a beautiful Blaser R8 Jaeger in .30-06 with some fancy engravings topped with S&B scope. He was not happy as he was all over the place and keeps adjusting hs scope after he looks at his Swaro spotting scope. He asked if I can shoot it for him for comparison and I gladly oblige. As I sat and get acquainted with the rifle and final adjustment for the target acquisition, I noticed he just fired 2 boxes of factory ammo (can't recall the brand). My 3-shots were ~.75 MOA. The advice I gave that day was to come back another day and try again. Just a thought but you might consider having somebody else shoot it. Good luck!
Having someone else that's a good shooter try one you're having trouble with is invaluable. The amount of time, money, and frustration it can save you is enormous.

Having someone else that's a good shooter try one you're having trouble with is invaluable. The amount of time, money, and frustration it can save you is enormous.

Aye Sir! Sometimes having observe and analyze your shooting fundamental helps too. I remember a co-worker having a hard time qualifying on 9MM, barely qualified on M-16. Her husband was deployed so she asked me to help her. Did some range time and video taped the session. Come to find out, she was unknowingly closes her eyes just before she squeezes the trigger causing the muzzle to point down in the process.

Aye Sir! Sometimes having observe and analyze your shooting fundamental helps too. I remember a co-worker having a hard time qualifying on 9MM, barely qualified on M-16. Her husband was deployed so she asked me to help her. Did some range time and video taped the session. Come to find out, she was unknowingly closes her eyes just before she squeezes the trigger causing the muzzle to point down in the process.
Funny, my wife had exactly the same problem when she first started. The funny part is that she was still a dead shot doing so.

I never was able to see it until the first time we went duck hunting together.

Try a different scope before you blame the rifle. I am not a Vortex fan for this exact reason. Their Razor Gen II is an awesome scope. Most of the rest of their stuff is not so great.

I picked up my new rifle a few weeks ago (7mm rem mag) broke in the barrel, got my velocities and went to the range to zero at 200. She is shooting over a minute. I feel like I am getting fliers and cannot call the shots. I want to clean up the groups and thought I might ask for feedback in the hopes of narrowing down an area to focus on:

1. Me?
*PICTURES @ 200 yards*
*i was getting bi-pod hop on concrete with 7mm. The first pic is on bipod and the second is on bag... all prone.
*i picked up my 6.5 to check myself and the last two pics are the 6.5...all 6.5 shots are on bi-pod prone. Pic 3 is with a clean cold bore. Pic 4 is with an adjustment up 3/4 MOA.
2. Barrel does not like the ammo... looking for educated feedback... twist rate 1:9 Proof barrel 24".
*i do not reload. I gave the gunsmith a box of 162 gr ELDX and he put the lands at .7.
*i have done some reading and it seems guys are having successs with this ammo at .3?
*the 6.5 CM is shooting 142 gr eldx.
3. Highly sensitive stock? Manners EH 1A hunting stock

I would show how awesome the rifle looks but it don't matter until I get her shooting.

Much appreciated!

QView attachment 104935 View attachment 104936 View attachment 104937 View attachment 104938
I have a trued up Remington action the same manners eh1 stock and a proof carbon fiber barrel in 6.5 x 284
the best I can get on a good day is half a minute accuracy I am not happy with the accuracy for a long range precision rifle for hunting rifle it will do just fine and this is my second proof barrel so it is not a fluke I handload and have tried every bullet powder combination I can come up with and have read about with the same results
I picked up my new rifle a few weeks ago (7mm rem mag) broke in the barrel, got my velocities and went to the range to zero at 200. She is shooting over a minute. I feel like I am getting fliers and cannot call the shots. I want to clean up the groups and thought I might ask for feedback in the hopes of narrowing down an area to focus on:

1. Me?
*PICTURES @ 200 yards*
*i was getting bi-pod hop on concrete with 7mm. The first pic is on bipod and the second is on bag... all prone.
*i picked up my 6.5 to check myself and the last two pics are the 6.5...all 6.5 shots are on bi-pod prone. Pic 3 is with a clean cold bore. Pic 4 is with an adjustment up 3/4 MOA.
2. Barrel does not like the ammo... looking for educated feedback... twist rate 1:9 Proof barrel 24".
*i do not reload. I gave the gunsmith a box of 162 gr ELDX and he put the lands at .7.
*i have done some reading and it seems guys are having successs with this ammo at .3?

I would show how awesome the rifle looks but it don't matter until I get her shooting.

Much appreciated!

QView attachment 104935 View attachment 104936 View attachment 104937 View attachment 104938

1. Me?
*PICTURES @ 200 yards*

Much appreciated!

I have no experience with any any of the rifle everyone talks about here

Have you thought about recrowning the barrel. I had to do this with a new .22(I know) and my groups improved greatly.

1. Me?
*PICTURES @ 200 yards*

Much appreciated!

I have a weatherby 7 rem mag. After dialing it in and a few hundred rounds at 200 I was shooting golf balls. I do reload and I think my consistency comes from always using the same powder type, load, and bullet. When I first got the rifle I was very disappointed, it was shooting at 2 MOA at 100. I was told that shooters that go from a regular to a magnum sometimes develop a "flinch" due to the heavy recoil. I added a memory foam pad to the stock and started shooting at least 50 rounds per trip to range. After about 5 trips I was no longer thinking about how much recoil I was getting. It is now my favorite long range Gun! Took a bull elk through the heart last year at 439 yards. Great gun

I have had bad luck with the factory ELD-X ammo in both my 300 win mag and 270 win. I load my own ammo and get overlapping shots and small cloverleafs at 100 yards from both. I use Berger 185gr classic hunter bullets for the 300 because it has a SAAMI length magazine. I use Nosler 130 gr ballistic tips, 0.005 off the lands, for the 270. The 270 shoots small groups with most factory ammo, even cheap Rem Corlokt and Win Powerpoint, but with 145gr ELD-X factory loads, I get 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards. Even worse groups with the 300 with 200gr ELD-X factory ammo. Both rifles are floated, correctly torqued, etc. I haven't tried working up my own loads with ELD-X bullets. I'm sure I could optimize powder, charge, and seating depth to greatly improve performance over the factory loads. But I'm content with the loads I have already developed. So definitely try some other factory ammo.

Group will almost always open up on a hot barrel, Best guess is the bullet, the VLD's and their close cousins like a faster twist and longer throat, regular Nosler AB's and BT's are usually consistent. I shoot a 280AI 160 NAB at 3,110 and show 1/2 MOA @ 200, the Nosler 168gr Long Range gives a 3-4" at 200, Figure 168 ABLR's they're good for fancy sinkers or sling shots.

1. I asked the smith if he could custom cut the chamber for the ELDX round since I do not reload. With the answer yes he cut the chamber after measuring himself and I went with his recommendation. I am not trying to assign blame here I simply want to know how to fix it.

Sound advice
1. check
2. Free floated... I ran a dollar bill just fine but the second smith did not like the groups opening up when hot. He is going to take a closer look.
3. Scope to 18" (per vortex) and level
4. Custom loads to be considered if the second smith does not find anything.

Just because you asked a smith to cut the chamber to a specific factory ammo doesn't mean its going to work!
Split groups where you have several touching & others also touching but say an inch apart & the floating & torque is ok is 95% of the time is to do with projectile seating depth.
I know you don't reload but if you did & could see the effect that changing the seating makes then you would understand.

I have a trued up Remington action the same manners eh1 stock and a proof carbon fiber barrel in 6.5 x 284
the best I can get on a good day is half a minute accuracy I am not happy with the accuracy for a long range precision rifle for hunting rifle it will do just fine and this is my second proof barrel so it is not a fluke I handload and have tried every bullet powder combination I can come up with and have read about with the same results

If you are getting 1/2 MOA groups this is good enough for ANY hunting. Your environmental conditions are the over riding factor at this point. If you are getting 1/2 MOA groups, that means you are hitting within 5" of what you are aiming at when shooting at 1000 yard based on raw accuracy alone.

I can coax better groups out of rifles sometimes but once I had 1/2 MOA I quit looking for better loads and work on my shooting skills.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.