New Rifle Troubleshooting

really if you have a custom chamber cut, you should probably be reloading your own ammo-- also when you tell the smith to cut the chamber for .07" jump you are giving him a specific task to do--as long as he did this you can't really blame him--a better thing to say might have been " cut the chamber so it shoots factory 162eldx ammo really good" then you would have been leaving the chamber cut up to
1. I asked the smith if he could custom cut the chamber for the ELDX round since I do not reload. With the answer yes he cut the chamber after measuring himself and I went with his recommendation. I am not trying to assign blame here I simply want to know how to fix it.

first I would check torque on bases, rings, stock/action screws etc -- was the stock free floated? does the stock have pillars, was it glass bed? have you tried tightening or loosening the action screws at all--- did you check the scope? maybe the OP has a scope issue and another scope would fix the problem? after checking all details then I would try different factory ammo to see if you can find which is most accurate for your combo

Sound advice
1. check
2. Free floated... I ran a dollar bill just fine but the second smith did not like the groups opening up when hot. He is going to take a closer look.
3. Scope to 18" (per vortex) and level
4. Custom loads to be considered if the second smith does not find anything.

Last edited:
Remmy700 is on the right track, those components he mentioned are exactly what I used for a load in my nephews RBros 7 mag. If you have a Smith near you you trust he could throat it for a dummy round with a 180.

Got ya, just want sure where the .07 off lands came from, usually when a custom chamber is cut they usually use something like .01" off lands but I guess it would depend on what jump the bullet likes.

Sounds like you are in the right track having a different smith check it out. The componants sound like you should be able to find an accurate load.

Please take no offense, I do not want to assume anything but since your 6.5 shots seems to be OK, can you possibly be flinching as you anticipate the 7MM RM's recoil? Does it have a muzzle brake?

A few years ago, I was at the Tucson Rod and Gun Club in AZ sighting my rifle and my two sons'. Fired 3-shots each and packed them. While waiting for the range to be safe and clear so I can retrieved my targets, I was admiring the shooter's rifle next to me, a beautiful Blaser R8 Jaeger in .30-06 with some fancy engravings topped with S&B scope. He was not happy as he was all over the place and keeps adjusting hs scope after he looks at his Swaro spotting scope. He asked if I can shoot it for him for comparison and I gladly oblige. As I sat and get acquainted with the rifle and final adjustment for the target acquisition, I noticed he just fired 2 boxes of factory ammo (can't recall the brand). My 3-shots were ~.75 MOA. The advice I gave that day was to come back another day and try again. Just a thought but you might consider having somebody else shoot it. Good luck!

I totally agree Feenix! Shooting lightweight magnums is a new realm. It amplifies any imperfections in your form, been there done that. My buddies shoot small calibers and I will be shooting 338 lapua. But from the many rounds fired I have learned recoil management. I can get behind any of their guns and ring steel out to a mile but when they get behind mine, I often don't here that sought after "Ding" lol.

Please take no offense, I do not want to assume anything but since your 6.5 shots seems to be OK, can you possibly be flinching as you anticipate the 7MM RM's recoil? Does it have a muzzle brake?

I appreciate and understand your comment.... my first concern was my form given the bipod hop left.
*yes there is a brake... no holes lower on brake to eliminate ground clutter... it could be more efficient.
*there is more recoil... it is difficult to load the bipod properly on concrete...hence my switch to a bag and later to a sled. The second smith is a shooter and had similar results. Having said that, I was hoping the issue was form as it is an easier fix.

The rifle proper is 8lb plus scope, bipod and ammo... I am calling her 10 lbs which I consider a comfortable weight.... No offense taken... if you are close to Boise I am always open to learning more and would welcome your consult. I have steel out to 1000 yards.

Attachments

• FE4E934B-801E-4DF2-BC59-5AC6DA2E3A18.jpeg
    FE4E934B-801E-4DF2-BC59-5AC6DA2E3A18.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 302
Last edited:
I appreciate and understand your comment.... my first concern was my form given the bipod hop left.
*yes there is a brake... no holes lower on brake to eliminate ground clutter... it could be more efficient.
*there is more recoil... it is difficult to load the bipod properly on concrete...hence my switch to a bag and later to a sled. The second smith is a shooter and had similar results. Having said that, I was hoping the issue was form as it is an easier fix.

The rifle proper is 8lb plus scope, bipod and ammo... I am calling her 10 lbs which I consider a comfortable weight.... No offense taken... if you are close to Boise I am always open to learning more and would welcome your consult. I have steel out to 1000 yards.

That rifle is to pretty not to shoot. Please figure it out!

I totally agree Feenix! Shooting lightweight magnums is a new realm. It amplifies any imperfections in your form, been there done that. My buddies shoot small calibers and I will be shooting 338 lapua. But from the many rounds fired I have learned recoil management. I can get behind any of their guns and ring steel out to a mile but when they get behind mine, I often don't here that sought after "Ding" lol.
Growing up shooting heavy 3" 12g taught me recoil management, or I thought it did. It taught me to man up and fight it and the bruises were considered to be trophies.

The first thing I learned my first day with the Barrett in the service was that I seriously needed to learn how to manage it instead of fight it.

Out of the service I've put more rounds down range through magnums than anything else and spent another decade really learning how to manage it.

As I've shot more and more with the Rum's and the .375's I learned to go back to my service training and just keep it snug and let my body absorb the recoil like a shock absorber and quit trying to either fight it or just let it flow right through me.

The torquing on a bipod is extremely common. The way I manage that is to add downward pressure keeping the sling under my left arm. The heavier the load the greater the torque, unfortunately the lighter the rig the harder it is to manage.

If you manage it consistently you should be able to account for it when sighting in.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts