new rifle suggestions

MRC figured out they had some problem people a few years ago and got rid of them. My dealings with them over the last couple of years though have been flawless so I'm thinking they probably worked it out.

Agreed. I have not purchased, but my dealings while considering them was very smooth.

I think you're looking too hard - just get a Savage 6.5CM (or maybe a Compass from T/C). If you get the Long Range Hunter version it comes with an adjustable cheek piece but that's a suyntgetic model. They have several good wood stocked versions too. Or even better - get the BA Stealth version, comes with a chassis and AR adjustable length and cheekpiece with a muzzle brake. The Accu-Triggers are some of the best on the market, can be set light if desired and are always safe with very little if any creep. I'm telling ya, this old Phat Phart has been down your road many a time and that's my recommendation. H3LL, I've even bought one just for myself LOL. The Burris XTR-II scopes are pretty phenomenal for a grand or so too, FFP if you want. I put the 8-40x on mine and absolutely luv it

You won't regret a tikka ctr. My trigger is fantastic even without a new spring. It's very crisp and right about 2lbs. Bolt is smooth as glass. Will be ordering a manners for it soon. However the factory stock is better than many other like Remington or savage. It shoots .7-.8" at 100yrds with factory loads and right around 1/2" with my handloads.

Do yourself a favor and shoulder a Kimber Mountain ascent!!! Find a dealer , call them , travel if needed to hold one ! It's 4 lbs 13 oz in smaller calibers with no scope . 6.5 creedmoore is fine for elk at closer ranges threw heart and lungs but if u want to step up consider .280 AI . Recoil can be rough on mag calibers tho ...

I would like a relatively lightweight rifle in an intermediate chambering that I can hunt medium to large (read varmint to Muley to Elk) game at under 500 yards and target shoot to 1K. Would like my 14 year old daughter to be able to comfortably shoot it as well until we determine her interest and get her a rifle if she wants. Would like a cartridge with a relatively broad spectrum of loads for varmint to elk. Mild recoil and long barrel life are a must, I would like a "family rifle" that can hang around for years and do the job for little sister when the time comes.

I am leaning toward 6.5CM due to current availability and what I see to be future availability and variety of loads.

I'd really like for it to be under 8lbs for her shooting and me hucking around.

don't like crappy black stocks but have not seen an adj. stock that is not a pig weight wise.

I COULD spend up to $2K but am sure open to more affordable options.

What I have looked at so far:
Bergara HMR and Pro: nice but heavy
PVA JH: same and pricier
Havak: so far a contender
Sako and Tikka: good accuracy reviews but would need a stock re-do right off the bat.

Any input appreciated on this. Once this ticket is filled I will be going for a much larger/longer range rifle just for me as the .30-378 has worn out it's welcome.

7mm rem Tikka T3. I put on the limbsaver recoil pad and felt that I didnt need a brake. Its a really light gun, so a little heavier stock would tame recoil even more if it was too much for you. If you think 7mm rem mag is too big, the 7mm 08 would allow you to use heavier bullets for elk and still go light with a lot less recoil for targets.

4.5-14 Leupold VX-3i windplex reticle CDS ! Dial for needed yardage and shoot . good combination for the 6.5 mountain gun. 3x9 to low , 6.5-20 probably to much as far as weight . Leupold is great glass and still light weight and priced about 550$. I have several nightforce scopes also........they are heavy . As a whole , price, quality,weight ...... really really tough to beat !

true. Guess there is a lot more traffic in this section......
Leupold VX6 3-18x50 TMOA reticle can be had for around 1,000.00 and it will be all you ever need for life.

I'm up to six of them and four of the 4-24x52's and will probably eventually replace all of my higher powered scopes with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.