New rifle quesstion, probably 6.5-284

Bedon292

After having lurked here for a very long time I am finally getting ready to get my first long range hunting rifle, but have a few questions.

I am thinking I will go with the 6.5-284 for this rifle as my wife wants to be able to shoot it as well. I would love to get a .338 for even longer ranges but she already hates my .308 because of the kick and I can only imagine the .338 is about the same even with a good muzzle break. The 6.5-284 also seems like a much more economical guns if I am going to use it for 1000 yard competitions (or at least try to) with the difference in brass and bullet prices.

Now for the actual question: Is it worth getting a Savage 111 LRH or would it be better to do a custom gun? Time is not an issue for me, I am in Afghanistan till March anyways so I won't get to use it till next season anyways. Weight is also not much of an issue either, I carry around a 14lb rifle all day every day and doesn't bother me any more, I can carry it and 60lbs of gear all day long or backpack hunting easy.

I have been looking a lot at what other people have been doing and have some ideas for a custom gun:

Stevens 200 for the action: ~300
28 inch fluted barrel (Broughton 5C maybe?): ~600 (400 not fluted)
Trigger undecided: ~100
Stock undecided: ~100
Muzzle beak (maybe, for recovery and wife): ~75
Gunsmith: ???

Come out to about 1100-1200 plus the smith which I guess would put it closer to 1500. A lot more than the 111 but much longer barrel and everything how I want it. Plus more places to spread the price across so the wife doesn't find out the real cost.

Also does anyone know a good gunsmith for this kind of work in eastern NC? I much prefer face to face vs someone over the internet. I am willing to travel a bit for a good one, but I am located in Jacksonville. And feel free to suggest scopes that you have on a similar setup, but that is more of a a question for the end of the build.

Thanks for any input.

Edit: Oh and I was thinking 140gr A-Max and 142gr SMK as the main bullets to use depending on purpose.

Cooper makes a very nice 6.5x284 that's worth a good hard look before you decide to go with a custom.

In my opinion, it's significantly better than the Savage for a little more money. But, not as expensive as a good custom which will allow you to buy better optics which will make all the difference.

-- richard

Model 22 Phoenix
It is a single shot. And, very accurate.
Not sure if the make a repeater in the same price range.
-- richard

I would not go Savage if your gonna have a smith do the work anyway, kinda defeats the perpose in my way of thinking.
I'll give you the senero of what I did this year as an example.

Had an old Ruger laying around with a barrel problem and I wanted a 338 EDGE so I bought a 338 barrel from someone on one of the boards and had the local smith put a Holland brake on it and fit it to the action. The rifle was already a custom so all I had into it was a $300 barrel and a $600 smith bill=$900

Bought a Savage Axis in 25-06 for a goat/deer/truck gun that shot good enough for its intended perpose. I ran accross a group buy for 6.5 Shaw barrels and had them chamber a sporter in 6.5-284. When the $127 dallar Shaw barrel arived I took the action out of the $295 Axis. With my trusty dull chisel I took off the factory 25-06 barrel and installed the shaw barrel useing a piece of brass resized in my die to set the headspace. The Shaw barrel is a pig right now but I'm hopeing it breaks in and cleans up easier as it does.
It may not winn a competition but I'll put money on it dont get last either. For $422 I have a great truck gun that really shoots!!

Now the Ruger weighs 14# with a brake and the Axis weighs 7# but the felt recoil is very close. The Ruger aint getting very far from the truck and the Axis can be carried all day. If I had to put $ on a long shot the 338 loaded with 300 grain Bergers would definatly get the call but that cheap little 6.5-284 loaded with 140 grain Amaxes aint that far behind.

Long way around the Barn but if you do the work yourself the Stevens is a great way to go, if your gonna have a smith do it get the Cooper Phenix. If funds are not a problem a custom is the a great way to go but I would trust an internet smith with a good reputation long before I would let the local smith hack on it.........depending on his reputation of coarse!
Good luck and thanks for the service!!

I have a Cooper 52 and a Savage LRH, both in 6.5-284. I get oustanding accuracy out of both rifles with 140 gr. VLD's, .25-.5 moa. The Cooper is a semi custom with superb fit and finish and an action that is smooth as glass. The polished barrel cleans up in very short order and it holds zero, hot, cold, clean , or dirty. The Cooper people really know what they are doing. The Savage is a factory grade rifle that I would have no problem at all recommending to someone on a limited budget, but still wants top accuracy. You can get a base Cooper 22 or 52 for under $2000 , the Savage, under $1000. The Savage comes with a adjustable stock, accu trigger, muzzle brake, and a .72" med heavy barrel, all which work well for long range shooting. Not much need to be done to this rifle.

I'm not downing cooper they are fine rifles, but before I spent 2k on one I would buy a model 12 savage f-class in 6.5x284, they are also single shot pta actions, adj trigger from 6oz to 3#s 30" 1:8 twist .985" at muzzle barrel about 1200 and put it in a 350 HS stock, I have one in the factory laminate stock and have seen a few others that shoot single digit groups at 1k some around 4"s, and it will weigh about 11#s in the HS and recoil in mine 15.5# is less than a 7# 243.

Cooper does not appear to make the Phoenix in 6.5x284 repeater. It is an awesome looking piece of equipment, but I would prefer to have a repeater in case of a bad shot or whatever. I would probably take it over the Savage 12 F class, as they are almost the same price (I found 1500 for the F and 1600 for the cooper).

I would love to be able to do the work myself, but I think it would be way out of my league. I mean I can take apart and put back together M16/M4, M249, M240G, heck I even fixed the springs on a AK-47 the first time I saw one, but head spacing and barrel stuff are a whole new ball game. I would rather not risk an expensive new barrel to my inexperienced hands.

The cheapest short term thing to do would definitely be the 111 LRH but I think I would be hard pressed to not try and customize it within a year or two, or at least make a custom weapon. So despite the large smith bill it may be better to just go custom from the start right? Or would it be easy enough to learn myself? I am a pretty quick learner I just don't want to mess something up and then have to pay even more to get a professional to fix it.

Not sure where your looking, but I got my model 12 F-class for 1,179.00+tax, plus it can also be a hassle sometimes to use a 6.5x284 as a repeater due to case design it is not reliable feeding cartridge, it is one of my favorites though, if you use a buttstock shellholder you can feed it just as fast, its not bad at all.

Both rifles have the ability to be shooters. The Cooper barrel will fowl less than the Savage and the FIT & FINISH of the Cooper will be superior. Given the choice and the $$ I would go Cooper, it will also hold it's value better.

Think of it like this....

A Subaru STI will get you where you want to go fast....So will a Porsche 911.
But what would you REALLY rather show up in .... If you had the money :rolleyes:

IMO,

Jon

Savage says the MSRP for the 12 is 1500 and same on Gallery of Guns, though nowhere near me has any in stock to actually get a price on. I haven't looked around a lot yet for a price though, just getting ideas still.

And yeah the Cooper definitely looks to be the nicer piece of equipment, although I am sure they are both quite nice. But for roughly the same money can I build a comparable gun with the smith work? Or will I be spending even more for the same thing.

Oh and whats with the 1:9 twist on the Cooper barrel? Everywhere else I have seen looks to prefer a 1:8. Although I haven't looked around a whole lot yet, I thought the recommended twist was 1:8 for the really long ranged with the heavier bullets.

Rifles are typically 20% to 30% under MSRP. You can request a twist rate on Coopers.

There are ways to build on a budget. It requires some leg work and being ready with cash in hand when a deal comes your way. You maybe able to find a nice Winchester, Rem, Savage with a factory high end stock like HS used for a deal and then have a custom barrel chambered fitted for less then $1500.

Other ways.

PacNor Barrel, fitted, chambered and action trued by PacNor $610
Old Rem 700 or Win M70 with factory trigger/bottom metal (pawn shop etc...)$300-$350
Bell & Carlson M40 Stock $225 (stockys)
Bedding & fitting $300
Harrels break fitted $150

Jon

Wish I could get on other websites right now, somehow this is the only gun/hunting site that isn't blocked at work, so I could keep doing research but as soon as I get home I will look into all of the stuff you mentioned.

Good to know about the custom twist, that has definitely upped the Cooper a bit in my eyes, but will that be costing me more on the price?

610 for the barrel and trued action? Sounds like a pretty good deal, I will definitely be browsing around the pawn shops and gun stores to see what I can get a donor action for before I make a final decision.

I am always on the prowl for donor actions. I can find them in my neck of the woods for $275 - $350. Need cash on hand. The old remmy and winchester triggers tune up really well. You'll send your action into PacNor and they will fit it all together for you. You'll then need another guy to fit it into the stock and bed it and re-work the trigger. At that point you can have it coated for around another $200-$300

It is doable...just requires a little more leg work on your end.

I think the cost of the twist change is $75 w/ cooper

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.